Friday, November 17, 2006

Substitution


Once, when Sara was three years old, and standing in the corner for some naughty behavior, she broke my heart. I heard her whimper, “Mommy…?”

“What, Sara?” I said. “You know we’re not supposed to be talking right now.”

“But I need you.”

I walked over. “What is it?” I said.

“I just want you to stand in the corner for me.”

Three years old, and she was seeking grace.

I wish I’d done something really unusual, like take her place in the corner. But I didn’t. Still, to this day, we use that memory as a way of talking about Messiah’s gift. He stood in the corner, he did. And what a dark corner it was.


“All we like sheep have gone astray; we have all turned to our own way, and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth…they made his grave with the wicked and his tomb with the rich, although he had done no violence…” Isaiah 53:6-7, 9

Photo by Andrew Denny. Granny Buttons

7 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Gorgeous verse. It sends chills down my spine.

What a wonderful "picture" you have to talk about with your daughter.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That's very encouraging that you have kept it up so long. What are your suggestions for supplements for meat? I don't want to feel weak. I am excited to see God's kingdom and know nothing will get hurt. It's VERY encouraging!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Reyes-Chow said...

Thanks for the post (found you via via DJ Chuang) I am a father of three daughters (10,5,3) so understand all of those "aha" moments where God is so clearly present. I also think that we often see in their actions the very things that we as parents yearn for ourselves.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

What a beautiful illustration. So often, it's children who best reveal those profound truths to us in a concrete way. Thanks for sharing!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Way to go, Ma Barkat for redeeming the teachable moments! She may not be able to spell "substitutionary atonement," but kudos to you for communicating the concept.

4:20 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Andrea... yes, sometimes I still weep when I read it.

Stephanie... thanks for stopping by!

BRC... yes, in this way, our children become our teachers.

Katrina... and, to think they do it without trying to be profound!

Craver... why thank you... I must say that with little Sara she probably could spell it! Or at least give a nice treatise on it. Right now, she's reading stuff like Small Energy Choices... a big book all about biomass and windmills and so on. I hope she helps make the world a better place with either her theology or her science. :)

4:57 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

L.L.,

Great story. And great analogy of the greatness of Messiah's sacrifice for us. So good to remember special times and events in the lives of our families and children. Thanks.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home