Thursday, August 23, 2007

Sabbath

Fern after Rain

Yesterday, I held my daughter close for a long while. To listen to a particular sadness, to give her my presence. It was healing, just sitting there breathing in rhythm. It was restful. I closed my eyes.

Sometimes we need that. To just close our eyes. To breathe. To love and feel loved. Yes, we need Sabbath.

The Jewish tradition calls the actual Sabbath "shabbat". I like this quote from the memoir Stranger in the Midst, regarding shabbat...

"Shabbat is like nothing else. Time as we know it does not exist for these twenty-four hours, and the worries of the week soon fall away. A feeling of joy appears. The smallest object, a leaf or a spoon, shimmers in a soft light, and the heart opens..." (p.2, Mudhouse Sabbath)

Reflecting on this quote I realize I want to close my eyes and open my heart. Close my eyes to the worries of a whole month, or maybe even a year. I want to pay attention to the smallest objects, and the tiny people in my life. Not just for a sabbath but for a whole week of sabbath. And so it is.

After tomorrow, I will be back in about a week. Maybe a little longer if an embrace of peace will not let me go. Shabbat shalom.


...you water the mountains; the earth is satisfied with the fruit of your work. Psalm 104:13


Fern After Rain photo, by L.L. Barkat.

Seedlings Invitation: If you write a post related to this post and Link It Back Here, let me know and I'll link to yours.

Labels: , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

L.L., I like this invitation into rest and just the insistence to regularly get away from it all before God, for our good and with others.

I need much more of this. Maybe I should say, I need this, period.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Christine A. Scheller said...

Well now, we will miss you, but it is well and good. shalom.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Llama Momma said...

Shalom.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Enjoy your Sabbath. :)

11:03 PM  
Blogger christianne said...

Mmmmm, I felt such peace settle over me as I read this post. This is the place I like to live whenever I can. I was just thinking yesterday, before I left for school, that I'm the kind of being who needs quiet to survive. And then I walked into a classroom where the instructor was blaring some Beatles song that WASN'T a song, it was just a fistful of discordant noise. It was like static floating through the air and getting stuck in your hair and skin! It made me sad. I wanted to cover my ears and shout for him to turn it off because it was hurting my soul.

I hope you find rest through this week, and lots of love to envelop you.

10:23 AM  
Blogger spaghettipie said...

I'll miss you, and I'm inspired and challenged by your actions.

10:34 AM  
Blogger kirsten said...

Many blessings to you.

Shalom.

10:43 AM  
Blogger jcubsdad said...

Shalom, may the peace and rest that God wants to give be recieved and used in your life this week.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Mark Goodyear said...

Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. ...And the God of peace will be with you.

That's my favorite verse. Isn't it great to worship the God of peace?

Have a great retreat, L.L.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Every Square Inch said...

LL

May you have a great week resting in God. E

3:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice words and really nice picture. The photo is so clean and green and refreshing--just as a sabbath rest is for us.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LL -- What a benediction for me as I prepare to settle down for the night. I've been reading The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan about sabbath-keeping. I love the double meaning of the title. It is true that God gives the rest, but there's part of God that we miss if we always approach him in a hurry. We have to slow down to see the rest (the remaining part) of Him. I felt that reality in what you have written here.

Blessings to you and your family.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for allowing us to sit and breath with you and be reminded that we can rest in God's lap and be quiet.

May he be very close throughout your week.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Shona Cole said...

i need to read that again, it didn't quiet soak in :)

1:20 AM  
Blogger Real Live Preacher said...

Rest is always a good thing. It becomes a beautiful thing when you can plumb it as deeply as you.

BE in this time of sabbath. Enjoy. Rest.

10:03 AM  
Blogger bluemountainmama said...

i'm with christianne....just reading this post gave me peace.

breathe it all in, laura....and we'll se ya when you get back! :)

2:49 PM  
Blogger Martin Stickland said...

Hello LL!

I am back off my hols and I see that you are still writing great words of wisdom and putting some lovely pics on you blog. I hope you are well!

M

7:23 PM  
Blogger Celestine said...

your post was healing for me. thank you.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Lloyd Irving Bradbury said...

machines and people have a lot in common

7:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a beutiful post... On another note, I am contacting everyone on the Laced With Grace blogroll to say....

As a contributor to the Laced With Grace Devotional Site, I want thank you for your faithful readership. September is our one-year anniversary. We are please to announce we have a permanent new address. www.lacedwithgrace.com. Please change your link to include this new address.

Thank you. Lynn

http://unequalmarriage.typepad.com/

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home