Monday, February 04, 2008

As Easy as 1,2,3 (sort of)

The Centerpiece

Maria tagged me for the 1-2-3 book meme.

Here are the supposedly simple meme instructions:

Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
Open the book to page 123.
Find the fifth sentence.
Post the next three sentences.
Tag five people.

The instructions were simple, or so it would seem. But the book I wanted to use was 54 pages. The book proper, however, began on page 9. So I subtracted 9 from 54, which led to its mirror of 45, which times 2 was only 90.

Being about 33 pages shy of 123 pages, I was compelled to then go 33 pages in, which plus 9 (remember the book proper began there) led me to page 42. Phew! Lynet!!! where are you when I need you? Off in someplace like New Zealand or something? ;-)

As it turned out, I didn't like the next three sentences on page 42, so I realized that all I needed to do was turn the book upside down. Then the fifth sentence was near the end of the three sentences I didn't want to post. Which put me exactly at the point of the sentences I DID want to post. Unfortunately, the sentences were now upside down.

I also wondered if turning the book upside down technically turned page 42 into page 43 and vice versa. However, I didn't like the sentences this took me to, so I decided to make an arbitrary decision. Page 42 would continue to be page 42. And I would post the sentences right side up so as not to completely confuse my dear readers. So...

Here are my sentences:

Alternatively, we may look closely enough to see that perseverance is also a matter of valuing what is happening now for its own sake. Moment by moment, we continue by engaging fully in the rich, dense, prolific dance of life. Taking the long view and looking closely... (p 42, Sharing Silence)

Since I haven't yet read page 41, I'm not completely sure what Norris is getting at, except that I must get dancing in the figurative sense, even as I eat my cheese-topped potato lunch and type this meme. I must put my nose down and smell the spices, see the pepper and paprika and smile, really smile that this is my life and I should keep on with it. After all, what blessing this is... me here typing and eating potatoes.

Now I pass this simple meme to five people:

Lilies Have Dreams
Loud Time
Goodword Editing
Craver
Flourishing Mother

Oh, and I thought it would be fun to share this surreal sculpture my daughter created for a silly skit at a party we attended on Saturday. For this post had its surreal aspects, in my opinion. (For another surreal moment that involves Barbie parts, I've always loved the poem Barbies at Communion by Marcus Goodyear. Go to page 21 when you get there.)

And speaking of inspiring poetry, you really must read Tidal, by Kirsten. No Barbie parts, but the ocean prevails, as does the depth of expression.

Surreal Sculpture by Sara, 10. Used with permission.

Labels: , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

You're so difficult.

2:31 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

You are not the first to so observe. :) Well, you are the first today I guess.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

That's an interesting mix of personalities you've tagged.

Did anyone check her math? Lynet?

2:50 PM  
Blogger christianne said...

I tried to check the math at one point but got fatigued at about the second rework of the book. And I just have to say, this meme was recorded in traditional LL fashion -- doing things a little differently, my girl! I love that about you. I'm so linear sometimes.

Thank you for the tag! This will be a fun one to complete. Also should be relatively easy . . . at least, that's what one would think from the outset! :)

7:47 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

LOL.
You creative genius. :)
Mine us up. Pleasured to be tagged!

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, it's a neat meme, but I love how humorous you made it!

11:08 PM  
Blogger kirsten said...

Hmm. I like it. And I like how you always manage to make a meme uniquely your own. ;o)

Whatever Norris is getting at, it sounds important. I must go look at The Cloister Walk & see what is there ...

;o)

11:13 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Craver... wherever you are, it's interesting!

Christianne... oh good, it was not meant for anyone to keep up with the math (well, except maybe Lynet)

Andrea... looking forward to reading yours!

Spaghettipie... it actually is one of the best memes I've ever been memed with (is that a verb form?), so I hope to see some others who do good things with it.

Kirsten... I'm thinking by now I must conform to my non-conformity. Or at least I like to. Thanks! As to Norris, note that it's Gunilla Norris (don't want you to think my math was even worse than it appears!)

8:02 AM  
Blogger david mcmahon said...

Thanks for the visit. Yep, everyone has to be surrounded by books!

Tell Sara I'm seriously impressed with a) her work and b) the fact she gave you permission to use the picture!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

That picture is warm. The blue and orangish hues are mellowing. The visual equivalent of hot chocolate, I'd say.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Lynet said...

Well, I can follow the math up to '42' (42 is supposed to be the meaning of life, you know. According to Douglas Adams, anyway).

I am less sure of my interpretation of your description of what you did once you got to page 42. However, I believe the true criterion for correctness is that you get to post the sentences you wanted to post, right? It would appear that your mathematics was perfectly correct from that point of view :-)

6:01 PM  
Blogger Christine A. Scheller said...

Okay,

I'm going to try this again now that I've corrected my roboform auto delete feature.

Am I lost? Is this the GRE math test again? Help.

Oh but what a fun and bright photo.

Really just wanted to say hi everyone.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Nice, L.L. You made a creative adventure out of this. A good imagination you do have! Now such a meme could be dangerous for me, though I do have Eugene Peterson's The Jesus Way nearly at my fingertips at the moment, so that wouldn't have been bad this time.

Lynet is the math wizard, we know. (I'm not; though I'm an admirer of those who are and of that itself)

5:57 AM  
Blogger Lara said...

Fun twist on a simple meme! Tell Sara I love her sculpture with all the lively colors and whimsical pieces.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

My kids have a word for a post like this...."random"

3:25 PM  
Blogger christianne said...

Hi LL -- just stopped by to say that my meme response, for what it's worth, is up and running now! :)

Thanks again for the tag.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Lloyd Irving Bradbury said...

YOU drove me back to painting will post the painting you inspired with your book sentance adventure

3:55 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

David... Welcome to Seedlings. And thanks for appreciating Sara's work. I think it's very inspiring for a young person to have the experience of true audience (especially an encouraging audience).

Craver... that's what I like about you. Always got the food angle.

Lynet... I'm intrigued about that comment on 42. As for my math, I'm not so different from your average statistician, in working my numbers to my benefit, yes? ;-) (Your comment made me laugh!)

Christine... hmmm... I hope this is more fun than the GRE. And thanks for saying hi. So good to hear you!

Ted... if one had to do this meme, Peterson sounds like a great choice to open up.

A Musing... well, that's my meme mission. Fun. Does anyone else have a meme mission? I'll tell Sara you like her work.

Kim... random. Aren't there scientific theories that can also claim such a lofty tag? ;-)

Christianne... of course it is worth much! Glad you became a joyful participant.

Lloyd... I can't wait to see the painting. Does this mean I finally have the honor of being someone else's Muse?

10:03 AM  
Blogger Nabeel said...

cool object .. i like such objects.

7:00 PM  
Blogger kirsten said...

laura - still playing catch up with blogging. so much going on in the blog world these days! thank you for the link!! :o)

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home