Saturday, December 17, 2011

On, In, and Around Mondays: Writing in the Barn

horse in red

I do not have a barn.

I wish I had a barn.

Of course a barn is work, and I don't need the work of a barn.

But I need the silence.

Mostly I am good at blocking out the blur of sounds that accost me at every turn.

Not so much this week. This week I have been craving solitude. This morning I even sat outside, the metal chair beneath me burning its cold right through my jeans. I sat and worked on an article until my fingers were so stiff I had to come inside.

And that was when I wished for a barn.

My Littlest rides horses once a week, and sometimes I sneak into the barn while she is out in the ring. I slip in for the warmth of the captured sun, for the warmth of the horse's bodies all kept in their little homes, for the warmth of what I see. Fetlocks, manes, tails, hay, bits of dust turning on air.

Today when I finally had to come in from the cold, back to the commotion of kids, I brought with me a vision of the barn. And somehow it made me feel free.
_______

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

lovely as always :-)

8:49 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

A barn, including the work, is a good thing.

Couldn't resist adding an older story of mine that took place in a barn to "On, In and Around Mondays". This is my first time joining in.

Buy the way, just finished "Rumors of Water", lovely.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Craig said...

I'm a city kid, turned suburbian kid, never had many barns. But I get the peace that you wrote about – especially the swirling dust – it's a vivid picture – it reminded me of the smoke rising in the Temple. And how candles in the Catholic Church are lit, and symbolize the prayers raising up to God. I hearted that. Anyway, thank you for this picture of barn-ish piece that you got to carry around with you – now I carry it with me. God bless and keep you and all of yours.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

That barn-image in your mind, bringing you freedom when you return indoors.

That's something, right there.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I could smell the 'barn-silence'. Beautiful.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

A feeling I know. It's why my pictures end up so deep sometimes. They give me my real life back...

2:09 PM  
Anonymous JoDee Luna said...

You have a wonderful way of capturing the soul's longings and crafting them into words. I had a barn when I was a girl...and horses to ride. Those were special days. This post created a longing for that old barn.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous kendal said...

oh, i get the craving for solitude....not the barn so much. conjures smells:)

9:38 PM  
Blogger Shaunie @ Up the Sunbeam said...

I wish I had a barn too! I loved my Grandpa's barn, and later had my own horses, so your words today make me feel right at home.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Blue Cotton Memory said...

For 2 years, we took a journey where my boys got to work on their Papaw's farm, in their barn and feed their cattle. There is something about the work of a barn that fills boys up inside with something manly and noble - I bet the silence is a part of that:) I wish we had a barn, too!

2:17 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

This photograph is absolutely stunning and makes me want to write in the barn :).

9:20 AM  
Blogger Duane Scott said...

Ha!

I love it.

I want a barn too.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Patricia said...

I could feel that chair. This is beautiful L.L. That need to be alone... we get that from him. What a gift it is... especially when we open it.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Camp said...

Oh, I love barns, too. My dear friend recently painted me a painting of a big white one, with blue sky behind it. She named it "Storehouse Full". It brings me hope to think of the rich blessings the Father brings. I love the beautiful images you invite me into share with you, here. Thank you.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Lisa notes... said...

My daughter used to take horse lessons and the smell of the barn kept me from wanting a barn. ;-) But I see what you're saying. Metaphorically-speaking, I would love a barn too. The imagery is rich.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a barn (actually more of a lean to but we house animals there). It is not a silent place - my animals make quite a bit of noise. After feeding animals this morning I turned over a bucket in a stall with a goat and a hen. Sitting there I took in the clean, musky smell of the hay and goats. I could hear the horses munching hay just outside, ducks quacking and splashing in their water tub, and a rooster crowing a few stalls over. An air of peace and contentment hung about me as I sat there. Even that feeling of freedom as I focus only on the animals and their voices. A barn is a great place for solitude.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Dolly @Soulstops said...

Loved the imagery and metaphor of a barn...

8:01 PM  
Blogger Amy Sullivan said...

You captured my feeelings exactly...longing for solitude and craving a barn. Beautiful words.

3:40 PM  
Blogger GRACE PETERSON said...

I know that feeling of a cold outdoor seat rendering outwear ineffective. It lingers long after I've come in. Great post.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Nacole said...

hi L.L.

i really truly enjoyed reading this! oh how i love barns and you captured it quite well.

blessings,

Nacole

6:30 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

nice...the warmth of a barn with all the animals breathing..the vision of the barn and the freedom feeling going with it, i understand that

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home