Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Increasing Blog Traffic Through Zimbio

Stone Bridge

In my quest to increase blog traffic (so I can tell writers at Mount Hermon how to increase their blog traffic) I've come upon another thing worth talking about. And that is Zimbio.

Zimbio is a wikizine site. It offers an absolutely simple way to have an e-zine without all the work involved in creating one of your own. (Though you can quickly create your own as well in Zimbio).

Here's how it works. You register at Zimbio. Then you can begin "publishing" your old blog posts or writing new articles in any number of existing e-zines. The e-zines have multiple contributors, which is why they are technically wiki-zines, so you don't have to work so hard to publish enough things to have an active e-zine.

It's worth doing this for a number of reasons:

1. you can re-use valuable content that has been buried over time in your blog. In this way, you "bring it to the top" in a new place, where people can see your work.

2. you automatically get links to your blog, potentially bringing people over from the e-zine to your bloggy doorstep

3. the links you get at Zimbio are more links to YOU at your blog, thus raising your Google rank (which means that Google will also show up at your bloggy doorstep more often too... and I can testify that this is happening here at Seedlings)

4. according to some blogging forecasters, things like the e-zines at Zimbio that are based on focused content, will ultimately be the most powerful ways that bloggers get noticed on the web

So there you have it. Between this post and the last post, I've mentioned several things you can do to increase your blog traffic. Here would be my recommendations as to where you might go from here, in this order, at least for now...

1. Socialize your blog and your posts

2. Register at Zimbio and re-publish some older posts.

3. Join Squidoo only if you have some very specific interests which would be easy to develop a quick page about. Like the way it was natural for me to do Writing Like Annie Dillard.

Oh, then just be yourself like you're used to doing. 'Cause despite your traffic, you know we really like you.


Stone Bridge at Rockefeller Park photo by J Barkat. Used with permission.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura,

Hi there. Say, is this similar to what's happening over at Helium.com? Have you run across that site yet?

Ed G.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Jennwith2ns said...

Yeah, see--I seem to be chronically incapable of adding widgets and badges and buttons to my blog. I just can't figure it out at all, for some reason.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

this is all so very over my head - I have enough trouble coming up with a post every few weeks - but I enjoy reading what you write about it anyway

I liked the idea for a new book - but the title feels a bit awkward somehow - like a petite woman dressed in men's clothes - not quite delicate enough for your work.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, Lady in Red (because it's V-day)--I have followed instructions because it seems that I'm addicted to the web. I added the Socialize button. I created a Squidoo page(Memoirs of an Imaginative Theologian--I think half the reason I did this is because Squidoo is just fun to say!), and I now am a Zimbio member with some articles floating around.
And now, thanks to Ed, I have to find out what Helium.com is.
Sheesh.
Hello, my name is Heather...

11:13 AM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Hold on a sec. Wasn't Zimbio the name of that other Marx brother?

1:22 PM  
Blogger Julie Luse said...

this has nothing to do with what you wrote, but Happy Valentine's Day!

2:09 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Ed... Hi there. So good to hear from you. Do you use Helium? No, I hadn't looked at it. At first glance it seems different and maybe more complicated. But then I only gave it a first glance!

Jenn... I know what you mean. It can be a little overwhelming. That's why you might consider the Socialize It button. It's ONE button that takes people to all the social bookmarking sites.

Halfmom... I think there's definitely a learning curve. And then also it's not for everyone. As for the book idea, thanks for the feedback. Finding a title is one of the hardest parts of the process. And even if a writer finds a title he likes, the publishing company might change it! But I will keep your impression in mind.

Heather... you make me smile. Some of these things will take care of themselves and just do work for you, so they're worth it.

Craver... oh!!! :)

Julie... blessings on your day too. Good to hear from you again.

4:22 PM  
Blogger christianne said...

I really appreciated this explanation because I couldn't quite figure Zimbio out myself in surfing around your pages yesterday. (Haven't gotten a chance to compose my thoughts back to you yet, but I will!)

Looking forward to exploring and learning more about your new book idea. Hoorah!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Jennwith2ns said...

Yeah--it's just that the socialize-it button was the one I tried to add, and I couldn't do it!

12:21 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Christianne... so much to take in, yes? I think the best explanation is that it's like a group blog except it's open to posts from anyone who joins Zimbio. Also, because it's set up like a magazine page, it looks different from a blog. (I guess that's partly what makes it an e-zine!) As always, thanks for your encouragements regarding my writing efforts!

Jenn... tell me where you had trouble. Maybe I can help you.

12:29 PM  
Blogger 23 degrees said...

How did you know my doorstep was bloggy?

Thanks for the ideas, you are so technically savvy!

Craver, Zimbio is that thing they drive on ice rinks to smooth them out. :]

5:39 PM  
Blogger Every Square Inch said...

LL,

I can't keep up with all your wonderful suggestions. I'm still trying to implement SocializeIt. Is there a way to do it in blogger that automatically makes it part of the footer of every post?

5:51 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

23... Oh, you make me laugh! We always wait to watch the Zamboni.

Every Square... I'll refer you to the comment section of my previous post. I explain it there. Good for you for trying some of these things!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks. Sounds like a great site!

When I started my blog, I did it so that I could refine my writing and get back in the habit. I think I did that. Because I was writing so much, my writing was better, and my blogging was better. Then I began writing "for real" in other arenas, and my blogging sort of fell into keeping up with the community, which is a fine purpose as well.

However I've been thinking of those "good posts" that are buried. I'm going to look into it definitely.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

I'm not sure where I ended up - Ted from Jesus Community sent me a link I clicked on (about as tech savvy as I can manage) and I got to listen to you read part of chapter one - it was awesome, increasing my desire for the real book - not the galleys I could see - to finally come out.

Interesting too that your voice sounded like "you". You know how when you read a book, you just imagine how the characters really look and sound - and then it they make a movie they just never quite get it right? But, I was delighted that you sounded "just right"!

Can't wait for the book - already thinking of how many extras to get to give as gifts!

10:21 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Jennifer... yes, dig out the old posts! The world will be blessed.

Susan... I'm so glad you liked my little amateur production! Honestly, I think it's nice for us to share the real "us" with one another, without all the bells and whistles. Indeed, I hope that others will do brief readings (um, less than 250 words for copyright reasons) too. Simple and real will be great.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any tips on getting a wikizine out of the "draft" state?

www.zimbio.com/Engineering

12:34 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

mrdpe.... Well, Zimbio suggests adding content, so I'm guessing they have a threshold you have to cross. Also, I'm not so sure that message is a bad thing; you could think of it more as an invitation to your visitors to go ahead and participate.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Terra said...

Thanks for this info, and now I will investigate Squidoo and Socialize.
This is time consuming though, when I really should be writing articles that magazine editors have requested. I sometimes procrastinate!

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home