Friday, February 20, 2009


Prison Pipe Art1

Thinking about color today, and the question people often ask Dayton Castleman about his red-pipes-in-prison art installment... why red?

Scarlet is,
man, scarlet is
fever and sins
snow. Scarlet
is, man,
scarlet is
single stray drop
to ruin a
queen's perfectly
good embroidery,
don't you know,
scarlet is,
man, scarlet is
he doesn't give
a damn.

Man, put scarlet
in my hands
so I can throw
it out windows
of Jericho, put
palms in
hidden pockets,
let it flow past
thighs and knee
become a trail
behind me. Man,
give me a bucket
of scarlet paint,
pipes and the
vision to see
escape routes,
openings, ways
to the sky, and
all the places
scarlet can,

Random Acts of Poetry:
High Calling Blogs' RAP: Changing the World
Nancy's Awaken
Jim's August Evening
Andy's Would You Have Known Him
Erica's Red
The Unknown Contributor's Nursing

Maybe some of you would like to try your hand at a color poem? Please let me know if you post one by Thursday, MARCH 5, to be considered for a possible feature and definite links at High Calling Blogs.

Labels: , , ,


Blogger RissaRoo said...

I love it! What a wonderful thing, that we were both thinking "Red" today. There are similar themes in the poems, and scarlet just conjure up a visceral response that must be universal. You know, it's funny...I have often found similar threads in the posts of my blogger friends, having written things before I read what they've written on the same day. Maybe there's a reason for that, maybe these things just need to be said on that particular day? And today, the common thread is...a deep, scarlet-red in color. Beautiful! I especially loved the the scarlet drops ruining a queen's perfectly good embroidery, and the hidden pockets image is very powerful.

11:28 AM  
Blogger nAncY said...

woah...awe lots.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Marcus Goodyear said...

This is very different for you. I like it!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Oh, I have goosebumps.

7:05 PM  
OpenID samwrites2 said...

Enjoyed that poem.
My daughter's middle name is Scarlet. Yes, after the feisty Southern Belle.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yes! I agree with all that RissaRoo said. Such powerful images--red is about truly living? That blood pumping through us...

I'm a bit behind on life must admit I'm pleased about the "solid" deadline.


10:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Here's my offering!

7:55 PM  
Blogger nAncY said...

i did a colour poem :-)

7:46 PM  
Blogger Lorrie said...

Great beat. I like it! I'm tossing in a shorty ~ thanks for the challenge!

8:35 PM  
Blogger sojourner said...

i like this!

1:14 PM  
Blogger e.o.w. said...

This is powerful! Thank you.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home