Friday, February 20, 2009

Scarlet

Prison Pipe Art1

Thinking about color today, and the question people often ask Dayton Castleman about his red-pipes-in-prison art installment... why red?

Scarlet is,
man, scarlet is
fever,
fever and sins
against
snow. Scarlet
is, man,
scarlet is
single stray drop
to ruin a
queen's perfectly
good embroidery,
don't you know,
scarlet is,
man, scarlet is
frankly
he doesn't give
a damn.

Man, put scarlet
in my hands
so I can throw
it out windows
of Jericho, put
scarlet-pierced
palms in
hidden pockets,
let it flow past
thighs and knee
become a trail
behind me. Man,
give me a bucket
of scarlet paint,
pipes and the
vision to see
escape routes,
openings, ways
to the sky, and
all the places
scarlet can,
must
be.

Random Acts of Poetry:
High Calling Blogs' RAP: Changing the World
Nancy's Awaken
Jim's August Evening
Andy's Would You Have Known Him
Erica's Red
The Unknown Contributor's Nursing

WRITING PROJECT:
Maybe some of you would like to try your hand at a color poem? Please let me know if you post one by Thursday, MARCH 5, to be considered for a possible feature and definite links at High Calling Blogs.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger RissaRoo said...

I love it! What a wonderful thing, that we were both thinking "Red" today. There are similar themes in the poems, too...red and scarlet just conjure up a visceral response that must be universal. You know, it's funny...I have often found similar threads in the posts of my blogger friends, having written things before I read what they've written on the same day. Maybe there's a reason for that, maybe these things just need to be said on that particular day? And today, the common thread is...a deep, scarlet-red in color. Beautiful! I especially loved the the scarlet drops ruining a queen's perfectly good embroidery, and the hidden pockets image is very powerful.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woah...awe lots.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very different for you. I like it!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Oh, I have goosebumps.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed that poem.
My daughter's middle name is Scarlet. Yes, after the feisty Southern Belle.
-Sam

8:22 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yes! I agree with all that RissaRoo said. Such powerful images--red is about truly living? That blood pumping through us...

I'm a bit behind on life lately...so must admit I'm pleased about the "solid" deadline.

:)Laura

10:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Here's my offering!

http://lauraboggess.blogspot.com/

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i did a colour poem :-)

http://theblogofnancy.blogspot.com/2009/02/to-jordan.html

7:46 PM  
Blogger Lorrie said...

Great beat. I like it! I'm tossing in a shorty ~ thanks for the challenge! http://growupdeep.blogspot.com/2009/02/wall.html

8:35 PM  
Blogger sojourner said...

i like this!

1:14 PM  
Blogger e.o.w. said...

This is powerful! Thank you.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home