Monday, February 28, 2011

On, In, and Around Mondays: Loving Like a Couch Potato

sherlock holmes

"Please?"

She's been following me around for days. Asking me to read the introduction to Sherlock Holmes. I don't really want to read the introduction to Sherlock Holmes. I keep putting it off.

The truth is, she doesn't want me to read the introduction. She wants me to read the whole thing. Both volumes. All six inches of detective capers.

I'm not much of a fiction reader. As fiction goes, I'm not much of a mystery reader. What are the chances?

Last night I settled down on the couch. Dim light played across dark green and cranberry paisley. What should I do? Sitting felt good. Maybe that's how I would spend this last hour of Sabbath-gone.

I noticed a notebook on the arm of the couch. I don't usually read my kids' notebooks— kind of a privacy thing. But this one was open. I scanned the page. It was a record of stories from Sherlock Holmes. There were lots of questions, probing questions, and descriptions of high points.

Flipping through, I discovered that the whole notebook was dedicated to Sherlock. Each story, beginning at story one, was commented upon, wrestled with, questioned, sometimes quoted. It was like an English teacher's dream.

The house was perfectly quiet. And suddenly I understood what love needed to do. I cracked open Volume I of Sherlock Holmes, paged to the first story, and began to read.

Somewhere around chapter two, I heard footsteps coming down the red oak stairs. Soft, soft. It was her. She'd been getting ready for bed, I guess, and seen the light.

Soon, her face was next to mine. She was smiling, and her eyes were bright, seeking.

"You're reading it?"

"I am."

She leaned into me, so warm, and her long dark hair fell across us both.

---

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Cassandra Frear said...

Reminds me of so many moments with my own children, now grown and no longer needing to share stories with me.

Enjoy it to the last drop.

11:05 AM  
Blogger SimplyDarlene said...

The last line is my favorite.

Blessings.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Good for you--grabbing hold of the opportunity love your daughter in this sweet way. Love the glimpse into her notebook!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Would you believe my electricity has been off all morning? What's a poor girl to do except read by light of window. I even sort of quoted you (though you remain anonymous until right here).

I hope you enjoyed Sherlocke. Now I have to catch up with the Spirit of Food!

11:44 AM  
Blogger sally said...

this post made me cry. We readers just love to share our best-loved books with our best-loved people, don't we? How wonderful that she wants to share with you.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Oh L.L. - I felt your daughter's heart and the joy when she discovered you reading what she loved so much. I consider it an extravagant gift when someone else reads the same book I have read and talks with me about it.
You are a dear.

1:49 PM  
Blogger imoomie said...

This brings tears to my eyes, your right that is exactly what love needed to do! Beautiful.

It is awesome that your daughter is recording everything in her journal, what an inquisitive mind!

My adult son is a Sherlock Holmes fanatic too!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh, this got me.
I wish I could go back and "read" and watch and listen and do so many of those chances,
but forward, today, new ,

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

I love your daughter!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Violet N. said...

Just lovely! I can imagine your daughter felt a lot like I feel when someone listens to a music CD I love and likes it back. You are raising a reader, a thinker and, if she learns from you, a lover.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Laura,

I love fiction but so much mystery so I teared up when reading this. I've had the same experience. I am coming to Encounters...........just fell in my lap on Friday and I sprouted wings!

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's such a gift that she wanted to share this with you.

I was never much of a mystery person myself until I had cancer. Someone loaned me some Agatha Christie novels, and during that time, I needed to see how everything gets solved (and resolved) in the end. It was assuring.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous dianne said...

I find it so fascinating what captivated different kids at different times in their lives. It's amazing how they are inspired to learn when they're allowed the freedom to be themselves. And yes, your daughter sounds like this former English teacher's dream! Love this whole post . . .

6:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love it - inspired me. I had to listen to a different voice from my daughter. It can get too easy to tune to another frequency

1:07 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Wonderful.

10:51 PM  
Blogger sojourner said...

sweet picture the ending was, an illustration of love

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home