Monday, April 11, 2011

On, In, and Around Mondays: Dragon Heels and Jewels

Bejeweled

"What do I look good in?" she asked me.

We were picking through clothes at an upscale store where we wouldn't ever actually buy anything off the rack.

"You'd look good in anything," I told her. My older daughter has honey skin and long dark hair. She's on her way to being tall.

At a jewelry counter, we discussed how chunky the styles were. (I'd have to do a bit of weight lifting just to carry some of the pieces on my neck and wrists.) We'd handled $3,000.00 Parisian stilettos covered in rainbow jewels from the base of the heel to the top.

"No one can really bear those without hurting themselves," I told her.

"Dragons can handle it!" she said. "At night they come and wear the shoes when no one sees."

When we were rejoined by my Littlest and my husband, we went back to the shoes. My Littlest became the dragon and tried the shoe, her white cotton sock an odd contrast to French fashion. ("You break it, you buy it," pressed into my mind, and I pressed it back out.)

We took my little daughter's hands, so she could stand in the stiletto without falling. And we laughed.

A woman moved past us and remarked to me, "What a beautiful family you are."

And I felt bejeweled.


---

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger TraciB said...

Beautiful post! I just wish you'd included a picture of your daughter's socked foot in that designer shoe... ;)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

I always feel uplifted by your Monday posts.

"It's a problem I have with short legs", I imagine that dragon explaining as she plops a stubby paw on the counter and in her best voice inquires about the availability of nine-inch heels.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Maureen's comment made me smile so big! I, too, would love to have a look at those pricey stilettos! You are such a good mommy to tuck away those cautionary thoughts...my boys are such the bulls in the china shop. I would have been on pins. and needles too.

dragons. that girl of yours.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

I actually posted 2 items for On...Mondays. (The general idea of both is "experiments in art.") The first link doesn't seem to be operative. Maybe you'll take time to read both when you access my site.

kingfishercrossing.blogspot.com

I love the photo. And the imagination of this writing. And the thought of a family making happy memories together. Thanks, Laura. Be blessed today, and every day.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

I kid you not, the word verification here is: "ilike."

And I do like.

I like the way you "pressed" the thought away.

I like the way your daughter thinks "dragon" in a shoe store.

I like the way you felt bejeweled.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good !

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Diana Trautwein said...

Oh yes! BEJEWELED. Perfect word, perfect ending to a perfect small story. Thanks so much.

1:12 AM  
Blogger Michelle DeRusha said...

What a sweet, sweet story -- and your daughter has a great imagination...dragons wearing jeweled stiletos. I love it.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anna said...

I agree with TraciB--about seeing the picture-- but I'd also like to hear more dragon tales by your daughter-- imaginative! Very enjoyable.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I were a bit more dragon and could wear a shoe just a wee bit taller than a flat. But alas, I am much more wicked step-sister when it comes to my feet.

This post was enchanting. You are bejeweled, indeed.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

You know I'm starting to wonder if I'm one of the only men that blogs and comments on these blogs. Just go look at any of the blogs linked at On, In and Around Mondays...

Why?

Am I just not looking in the right mucho-macho places or what?

(And Jennifer, I wouldn't assign too much meaning to the word verification thing...mine is "upeah" (I know, only a guy would interject urinal humor into the conversation...sorry!)

5:16 PM  
Blogger Violet N. said...

What a lovely painting of a story. Wear your jewels proudly in the days ahead!

12:26 AM  
Blogger Duane Scott said...

3000 dollar shoes don't make a person beautiful... or a family. :)

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home