Saturday, May 26, 2012

On, In, and Around Mondays: The Smallest Wild Rose Will Do


I'm mixing it up, since I've already read The Artist's Way, twice. 

I'm reading it a third time now, yes, for the book club, but I also got Cameron's Finding Water from the library. It gets at some of the same material from a different angle, with the coolest little shifts in language. Like this...

"Even the tiniest of Artists Dates will yield results."

I test this language, on a day when I have no date planned. It's just a small diversion, this decision to walk behind the parking lot, on a path that goes nowhere but a woodland loop (so short l I can do it in a few minutes).

Along the path? Wild roses. Diminutive, compared to the fancy roses we can buy and plant in our gardens.

But I spend time with them. Wishing I could catch the way the light is held, as if in a white cup. Holding my breath (why do I hold my breath?) as I lean in to take a shot. And then I run my fingers across the iridescent whiteness, just to take home the scent of roses on my skin. A free perfume. An alteration of my chemistry, if only for today.


Cameron tells me I am wrong about this—the temporary change of chemistry. She says, give it time to sink in, to enter as if into the blood stream, through the skin, through the inhalation of the fragrance. She says it this way...

"Artist Dates fill us with exuberance. We see that we are not caught by the narrow confines of life as we know it."

I am inclined to believe it, after the roses. Even though the path seems, on its surface, the same.



_______

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button



This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



ts book club no border

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Enter Not the Narrow Confines

Catch light on a temporary path
from a different angle. Test
the tiniest shifts of the wild
woodland roses. On a day not
planned, give the coolest breath
on skin time to yield its language
in the exuberance of chemistry.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Diane Turner said...

Extraordinary insights here. Each, words and photos, will Enter Not the Narrow Confines. Beautiful.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Joe Pote said...

Beautiful pic's accompanied by poetic language.

I could smell the scent of wild roses.

Thanks for sharing!

10:45 PM  
Blogger Sherrey Meyer said...

As I read each word and gazed upon each photo, I sensed a shift in my internal being. A shift toward scents, sights and sounds not experienced in a long time. I need a woodland walk, and the sad thing is I'm surrounded by the woods on my own property. Getting out more is now higher on my list of priorities. The nudge is appreciated!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Theresa Miller said...

Ooh, I own this book. Maybe I ought to pull it out and keep up on this book club! So much to learn by coming here.

11:35 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

Oh Laura, I love your tiny white roses! Sweet.

And seeing as how one of your favorite colors is purple, you'll enjoy my link for this week!

May God keep you on your life's journey. How lovely that you find glimpses of His Great Creativity and Wonder, everywhere!

s

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm new to linking my blog post on here! I really enjoyed reading your post, and look forward to reading more in the future. God bless you. :)

10:25 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

i had a few hours to myself the other day.
i drove an hour and submerge myself in another town.
i walked to the end of a pier and sat.
i sat and painted the smallest of watercolours of the lake and trees.
just because i could.
i may never show another person, but i know it's there. just waiting for me for another time.
and it is worth it just to have done it.
***
and i have picked hundreds of the tiniest wild roses in the last week. they will end up in my teas for a hit of flavor and a lot of beauty.
**
thanks for inspiring.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home