Monday, December 11, 2006

MP3 Download Writing

I have a friend who works at Google. We were talking blogs. “You should write about MP3 downloads,” he said.

“Write about MP3 downloads? Why would I want to do that?”

“It’s the popular thing right now,” he told me. “Chances are, if you write about MP3 downloads, you’ll get googled.”

Well, I told him, that’s all fine and good, except that the googler will end up here, hopeful for MP3 and instead he’ll just get me. My friend seemed unconcerned.

Anyway, this reminded me of Betsy Lerner’s advice to writers in The Forest for the Trees. She notes that people often want to write what’s popular, what’s selling. “What should I write about?” they ask her.

“Asking for advice about what you should write is a little like asking for help getting dressed,” she says. “I can tell you what I think looks good, but you have to wear it. And as every fashion victim knows, very few people look good in everything.” (p15)

Needless to say, that’s why I’m not wearing MP3.


(Many thanks to Christianne for recommending Betsy Lerner's book.)


Technorati Profile: just trying this out, so I'm posting on one of my "off" days. :)

11 Comments:

Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

L.L.,
MP3 downloads. Yes, I've heard of them. But like alot of this stuff, I don't have a clue.

If someone came along and not only could help me make sense of it, but see value in it- that would be an accomplishment.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Martin Stickland said...

After MP3's and gets you instead 'what a bonus!'

Hope you are fine and dandy L.L

All the best

Martin

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right on that. Everyone tries to follow the fad instead of being themself. You stick to your guns. I enjoy reading your blog :)

8:13 AM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Hi, it's my first time here. While googling MP3's, I stumbled across your blog...
(heh, heh)

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same sentiment as the rest . . .

Write what is true to you, and the really quality MP3 Googlers will find themselves here anyway!

3:34 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Ted... just keep listening to music any way you want. That's all you need to know.

Martin... you are too kind (or too deluded, perhaps :)

Stephanie... thanks. I'm not much of a fad person anyhow, as you can probably tell.

Craver... wow, that is SO AMAZING!!!! So, like, how did you come to pick me from the 5 billion and 3 google results I'm sure you encountered. :)

Charity... spoken like a true friend! (I'll pay you later. :)

4:37 PM  
Blogger christianne said...

LL: Thanks for the credit on Betsy Lerner. I think it's about time I read that book a fourth time. Then you and I could share fresh notes. :)

9:26 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

L.L., I love music. Stuck on CDs now. Though interested in improvements beyond them.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

So what mp3's do you have to offer me?

11:42 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Christianne... yes, let's!

Ted... I would be happy to get rid of my HUGE stack of CDs. Funny how those little things can pile up.

Heather... not a one. So sorry. :)

5:30 PM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

I think your friend is right - it is all about "key-words"...I like your comment "I don't wear MP3"...but seriously -- we should write on our blogs what is on our hearts :)...I guess that is why I don't do T13 anymore. Although it brings traffic, but does everyone really read all my 13 points?

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home