Saturday, May 05, 2007

Four Sythia

spring in the woods

Technically, this is not for Sythia. It's for Christianne, who challenged me to a game of Fours.

Four jobs I've had:

- blog meme analyst
- blog hijacker (see Mark for a reference)
- author of a book that is finally coming out in Spring of 2008 and I am so excited I can hardly play Fours without yipping at the moon like one of our four-footed friends (Sorry. Excuse me, I'm okay now. Really. I won't talk about the book. I promise. Nothing about the book. Um, did I mention it's a spiritual memoir with Christian Living on the side? Craver! Help! Change the subject to homeschooling or International Respect the Chickens Day, could you please?!)
- mental health worker (Okay, so a few patients escaped on my watch. Can I help it if I don't have great attention to detail? Except when I am writing books. You know, like ones that come out in Spring of 2008. What? You mean that counts as a book mention? How did I know?)


Four places I have lived:

- on earth
- in the United States
- near a creek (That's how the book opens, by the way... in the creek bed. Huh? No. I didn't say anything about the book. You imagined it.)
- in New York, four my whole life (Okay, so edit me. It's not like I can't take it. I've been in the editing hotseat for almost a year now. What? Can't I even put in a side comment about the... the thing made of paper?)


Four movies I watch over and over:

I take the fifth. I'm not really a movie watcher. (Is it okay to take the fifth in a game of Fours?)

Four favorite foods:
- vegetables
- fruits
- grains
- get the full scoop at Green Inventions Central (my other blog which occasionally features really delicious, healthy recipes, as well as thoughts on sustainable living, spirituality and creation, etc., but never talks about my book... well, maybe just a little)


Four favorite TV shows:
- Um, could somebody Google "TV" for me? I seem to have lost the definition.


Four places I'd rather be right now:
- gardening with Charity
- at my Secret Place
- on a wild edibles hike
- in a Wendell Berry book (That doesn't count. I'm talking about somebody else's, um, book.)


Four people I tag to complete this survey:
Sara
Andrea
Kim
Earthaxis

Okay, do you all fourgive me now? I had a hard day doing the almost-final edits on my book.

Forsythia photo of my Secret Place. L.L. Barkat.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger christianne said...

Woohoo! LOVE IT! You are expressive. Congratualations on your almost-final-edits of your sure-to-be-famously-wonderful book. I, for one, will snatch it up at Borders right away!

Oh, and by the way, I particularly loved your answers to where you've lived and what you'd rather be doing right now. And I don't watch TV either, but I figured I had to answer with SOMETHING. But that's because I turn it on from time to time . . . whereas you seem to have misplaced yours altogether, so you're excused. :)

6:36 PM  
Blogger Jennwith2ns said...

Congrats on your . . . shhhh!

12:04 AM  
Blogger Eve Nielsen said...

LL,
So loved to see the excited you (I'm so excited for you too!!) But..I think you have spent far too much time hi-jacking Mark's blog...what? I did that? Oooops...

4:42 PM  
Blogger Halfmom said...

That was a pretty hysterical entry LL. It made me smile - and that is not easy to do right now - too pooped.

Yes, back from Nerd Central (Nutrition and Neurobiology) and then off to a Women's retreat (Evangelical Free, Great Lakes District) and finally home again.

A book - that is very exciting - and I believe I would like to read it - so you really will have to write more about it on your blog so that we will be able to find it when it comes out - IN SPRING 2008!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

This four thing is fun. Though I'd be scratching my head on some of them as well. I'm as dead as a dunce (does that make sense) when it comes to TV and movies. I do try to learn from others, particularly about movies. There are some that are good to watch, and others good to watch so that we can use them as common ground in conversing and sharing the gospel with others. Some have the right thoughts whatever, going on to facilitate that, we're learning in church in a class, right now.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

I can't wait to get my paws on that book, too! I hope it does very well for you!

2:55 PM  
Blogger jcubsdad said...

Ahh, a fellow fan of Wendell Berry. The Art of the Commonplace has become a fixture on my desk, I love it.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you could be here gardening with me! I'm just about to go and get my hands dirty right now!

Spring 2008. I can't wait!

I'm reading another great book of Wendell Berry essays, Standing by Words. As always, there's no simple way to describe it -- it's kind of a commentary on writing, poetry, etc. with larger implications for society in general. You'd love it! I'm going to blog on it a little soon.

5:22 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Christianne... how nice that you are so enthusiastic!

Jenn... oh, you can talk about it. I'm just trying not to be too annoyingly excited!

Eve... I guess this means you usually see the sedate me? :) Well, except when I am hijacking. You really shouldn't hang around people like me (oh, wait a minute... you started it!)

Halfmom... glad you could still find your ticklish side after all that seems to have tried to squash it.

Ted... yes, it's always good to follow the people who follow the media. At least we're not totally out of it then. On the movie thing, I do watch them, but I can't recall watching any over again.

Craver... I bet if you blog about it, it'll do quite fine (well, as long as you leave the clown nose out of the picture!)

Gyrovague... haven't read that one yet, but I'm on my way. I want to read his complete works. But he's so prolific it could take awhile!

5:23 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Charity... oops, I missed you. You pressed the button first! (while I was still typing in responses).

What are you planting today?

5:26 PM  
Blogger Betsy Lin said...

So what exactly is that you do?!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I sooo can't wait to read your book LL (makes me tempted to cheat and sneak a little pre-peek - shhh don't tell. I won't really do it :)

10:20 PM  
Blogger Halfmom said...

Hah - a sense of humor is required to survive life with a bunch of nerds - trust me!

"trust me, I'm a scientist" from Young Frankenstein, actually becomes pretty hilarious when you think of what some people are actually asking you to trust.

To that, I generally smirk I'm afraid - however, to real humor, which I find in your posts - I laugh out loud - so keep 'em coming.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gotta new Tag for ya over at my blog, LL! "Tis the season" for it:)

11:40 PM  
Blogger Inihtar said...

LL, I like the excited you too:) What a fun entry! And so awesome about your book. So many people I know seem to be writing books these days. . .will have lots of reading to do! And I for one don't mind you talking about. . . . that thing made of paper:)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

L.L.
I look forward to reading your book next year. How exciting!

11:44 PM  
Blogger The Gatekeeper said...

Have you joined the Meme world? LOL. We're all waiting for you book and I'm glad you're finally out of that Edit hotseat. It's brutal! Here's to you L.L.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Pair of Noid said...

I loved this post. Maybe it's the visceral side of me that liked it, but seeing your excitement that was more instinct-based that intelligence-based was very exciting. It was very earthy. I enjoyed it very much.

2:51 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Betsy... well, the blog stuff is only sort of tongue in cheek. But the author part is true. And I was a mental health worker (someone who cares for patients in a psychiatric center). I also home educate my kids, so I'm both a teacher and a learner.

Stacey... that's cool of you to wait. 'Cause, honestly, I know it's still got some rough edges.

Halfmom... yes, I agree that science is not something to trust (as if it were a moral good), but is instead something to participate in and sometimes challenge.

Eve... I always get to my memes. Not to worry. But sometimes it takes me a while. "Trust me, I'm a blogger." (Oops, how'd the Frankenstein quote take over here? See Halfmom's comment.)

Inihtar... I bet you'll get a lot of reading done while you're waiting to get more fluent in Japanese!

Jim... thanks! I'm looking forward to celebrating!

Gatekeeper... no blogger is an island, so they say. How can we be meme-less and still claim to be a blogger? If we claim to be meme-less, we... Oh, sorry. Got into that Blogger Bible mode again.

Shannon... words straight from the viscera, no doubt. (Hey, I linked to you, because that post was just too funny to keep secret!)

7:10 PM  
Blogger MamaMonk said...

I found this highly entertaining. You are hilarious! I was laughing out loud! Fun...

And I am excited to hear more about the "you know what" coming out spring of "you know when".

:)

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home