Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Trade 'Ya: Links for Art

stone crossings

I know I can get those little book icons from Amazon, to use when reviewing a book on my blog. Sometimes I have. But more often I like to take my own pictures. Personalize things a little. After all, if I'm telling you about a book I'm reading, I feel like I want to add some aspect of my surroundings. Like I said, personalize things a little.

Sometimes other people do this too. I still remember Ann Voskamp's lovely worn, wooden table humbly holding tea for two and a copy of Stone Crossings.

And I have clicked The Jesus Creed on my floor with a cornhusk Mary, Two Men Fighting with a Knife on my piano, and Celtic Devotions on my side porch, looking out towards my secret place.

The other day I was delighted to discover a colorful picture of Stone Crossings at Nancy's (see above). When I asked her if I could borrow the picture, she graciously commented...

l.l., i took this photo when i was sitting on my porch. i had been reading your book and put it down and placed the stone on it to keep the wind from blowing the pages. when i saw it sitting there i just had to get a photo of all the stones that were in one place. my 11 year old daughter and i like rocks and stones and have them sitting in different places in the house and now these have made their way out onto the porch this summer...

I was touched by Nancy's sweet words and her artistic photograph. Then a small idea began to grow in my mind. Links for art. Or in other words, I would love to link to you if you share a personalized photo of Stone Crossings with me. A little story to go with it, like in Nancy's comment, would be nice if you're comfortable sharing.

Just a thought. Trade 'ya: links for art.


Stones and Stone Crossings photo, by Nancy. (Photo and permanent link provided at bottom of blog sidebar.)

OTHER 'LINKS FOR ART' POSTS:

Ann Voskamp's photo in Of Grace and the Barn

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger TAMI said...

I still have your book in my "shopping cart" on Amazon. I'm also in the middle of intensives for ordination, so even if I did order it, I couldn't read it and time soon anyway.

How long will you honor this offer? When does it expire??

Whatever the time constraints, I'm looking VERY FORWARD to eventually reading your book. It sits patiently in my virtual cart, so as to not be forgotten, just waiting for the sacred moment of availability on my part!

9:46 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

No time frame. Standing offer. :)

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very fun and cool idea, l.l.!

i enjoyed seeing all the photos that you have taken of books.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

What a cool, creative idea!

Becky

6:07 PM  
Blogger kirsten said...

what a great idea!! and a fun project for me. ;o)

2:02 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Beautiful.

That first link is a wonderful write-up of your book. So true.

And the other links, most of them, bring back memories to me of some of your past posts.

And yes, Nancy is a dear sister in Jesus, and comes up with some creative creativity at times!

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

L.L., Links for Art is a brilliant idea. Any day now I should receive my copy of "Stone Crossings" from Amazon. Looking forward to it after reading bits of your blog.
I'll send a photo and review as soon as I have a chance to read the book.

Diane L. Harris
http://www.steppingintothelight.net

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

L.L., I'm reading your book now and mentioned it in a post on my blog on 11-29-08. The link is here: http://www.steppingintothelight.net/the-blog/2008/11/29/recommended-weekend-reading-for-christian-direction.html

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home