Monday, November 24, 2008

RAP: Found in the Outdoor Journal

Snow Storm Gail Nadeau

I've been culling my outdoor journal, dropping things into chapters as I go.

Every so once in a while I find something unusable that I want to keep. But where to keep it? And how? It seemed perhaps a good idea to keep a few little treasures here, as random acts of poetry. Discovered. Embraced.


I love
the fallen
golden
grasses—
straw reaching
sideways to
escape destiny.

-----


This is
life, this.
Beautiful life.


-----

Hemlocks
bow in turn,
do obeisance
to the house.

-----

White butterfly
barely whispers
against my arm,
hurries away
through quiet
arch of forsythia.

-----

Trees
wrestle
the air.

-----

Sun shines through
leaves— soft green
illumination.

-----

Light plays
upon the pine,
dips her in golden oil.

-----

I hold
three little
blueberries
which I will
hide inside
to ripen.

-----

Miniature
face of the baby
cardinal... tiny
promise of a
crest-to-be,
above his eyes
like a hat.


Snow Storm photo by Gail Nadeau. Used with permission.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Jenn Jilks said...

One of my favourite writers published a book of poems and paintings: Top of My Lungs. Natalie Goldberg. I throw this up as a thought! Your poems and photos???

Her latest: Old Friend From Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir, looks to be a good one, too.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I found so much rest in some of these words. *sigh*

11:29 AM  
Blogger Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks for the poetry link, L.L.! Things are pretty quiet here in Muskoka. I am in a (small) writing group and trying to give them some more info. I'm not into poetry right now. Might get back to it - you are good inspiration.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the yummy poetry. I haven't written any in a while. I'd like to, but it makes me nervous.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Marcus Goodyear said...

Trees/ wrestle/ the air.

Great trio of lines.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's like a nine course meal at the french laundry.

lovely and rich little plate fulls

6:43 PM  
Blogger Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Thank you for this. It was so contemplative. I'm still savoring the image of the baby cardinal with the crest-to-be like a hat.

10:29 PM  
Blogger 23 degrees said...

Wonder-full, thanks for sharing this, Laura.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Shosannah said...

Beautiful, words for the soul :0).

6:27 AM  
Blogger Billy Coffey said...

Love these. How can someone say so much in such a little space? Silently in awe...

9:09 AM  
Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Such
words
unfurl
here.


Thank you, L.L.
Poems and photos: you should.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

word for the day...

"rejoice"

pass it on
:-)

11:25 AM  
Blogger GratefulinGA said...

I'm with Jenny Jill and Ann
Poems and Photos please

12:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the hemlocks and the blueberries.

These random thoughts remind me of the time that I stood singing in church watching a very large evergreen's bows bending in the strong wind, giving praise to God just as we were.

7:36 AM  
Blogger RissaRoo said...

I second (third?) the Poems and Photos comment. Such soul-quieting, peace-infused words and images!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Joelle said...

How did you see that--trees wrestling air? Now I see it everywhere! Beautiful eyes, you have, L.L.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home