Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sometimes a Dream Comes True

Chris and the Book

With not a little hope and daring, I called this my Year of Dreams. Included in the list of wishes: meet poet Sam Hazo.

Well, sometimes a dream comes true. While at the Jubilee conference I met Sam over at Carlow University, where he leads the International Poetry Forum (pic of Carlow below). Stay tuned for more from Sam this Friday in Random Acts of Poetry at High Calling Blogs. Also, Marcus Goodyear has promised to share my premiere [cough, cough] video-wielding skills by posting our interview of Hazo [sometime soon, right MG?]

Carlow University

Bass and Vocals

Cello Enthusiast

I just had to love a conference that fed one of my other dreams (to become a real-live cello player), by including string instruments in the hip-hoppin', jazz tappin', rock and rollin' praise bands. I could not help but catch the enthusiasm of the cello player as she swooped her bow up to the ballroom ceiling (after she played the most astonishing solo and I was reminded that I'm not a real-live cello player yet.)

Overall, there really is too much to tell. I met so many awesome people, including the guy at the top of this post, sitting there with his bible (yup, it was about 6 inches thick... I thought he'd stolen an illuminated manuscript from an old monastery or something : ) . An English major, dating an Art Therapy major, Chris exemplified the deep-heartedness and warmth of the students at Jubilee. I met people who are making a difference in big and little ways. Stay tuned for more on that too, when I invite you to a special kind of House Party over at High Calling Blogs next week.

Stone Crossings Last Copies

Prison Pipe Art 7

I cannot choose what impacted me most. The art, the stories, the music and poetry— all of it spoke to hidden places in my heart. Maybe this is best expressed by the series below, by artist Dayton Castleman. He shared how he came to create the Red Pipe in Prison art installment after spending time in the prison, letting the oppressiveness of the setting eat into him. "I began to see the spaces, the holes, the escape routes," he said. And thus was born the network of red pipes— dreams of freedom leaking out of prison windows, walls, corridors.

We all have dreams. Maybe that's what I remembered most while at Jubilee. For some of us, it's time to begin making them come true. For others, it's time to help a dreamer who has been ushered away by society... time to bring in a pipe and help him paint it red, place it near the escape routes, ride it out to the sky.

Prison Pipe Art 4

Prison Pipe Art 3

Prison Pipe Art 5

Prison Pipe Art1

Prison Pipe Art 6

Jubilee photos by L.L. Barkat. Other awesome people I met or reconnected with: Alissa Wilkinson, Andy Crouch, Lauren Winner, Jonathan Walton, Byron Borger, Derek Melleby, Jeff Shinabarger, Sam Van Eman, Larry Bourgeois, Brian Moss, Michael Stevens, Jason Panella, Karen Sloan, and Scott Calgaro

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Sounds like a good time for your soul, LL. Dreams can be so nourishing...I pray yours feed you better than you can imagine! Also, I love your photos of the worship band!

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the photos--I'd like to contemplate on that installation some.
It sounds like an amazing conference.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Cindy Bunch said...

Looks very cool. Glad you went.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Derek Melleby said...

I wish we could have spent more time together. I would have had you sign books for my family! Next year? (And maybe another book soon?) Stay in touch and may all your dreams come true!

DJM

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my list

t.p.
apples
copier paper
cat food
rED pAinT
big brush

7:59 PM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Oh, don't we need these experiences of communal inspiration?! Sounds like you came away gifted with so much food for your dreams. Will have to think some more on what my dreams are....

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the visit and the comment. the jubilee sounds like a really good event. i am looking forward to what you have for us at the rap.

i feel that you have helped me to dream. thank you, my friend.

:-)

11:22 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

It sounds like such a wonderful time...would love to have been there! Instead, I'll just enjoy it through you. :)

9:16 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Sarah, it may just be one of the best times I've ever had at a conference. I still don't know what will grow as a result... many things, I think. Glad you like the worship band photos. I ended up having to prop my camera on the center stage (round, in the middle of the crowd) to get it to sit still long enough to manage a proper shot. (no shame, eh? :)

Heather, that art piece was for me one of the most moving elements in the conference. Art speaks to deep places.

Cindy, hey, what an honor to have my editor drop in! : )

Derek, I know. We caught each other at the door. Another time perhaps. And I'm working on that other book. Slowly. (August deadline though. Ai.)

nAncY, I'm with you on the red paint. And pipes, I'm looking for pipes.

Joelle, I would like to hear about your dreams. Sometimes they are hard to pinpoint, but they're in there.

nAncY 2, helped you to dream? What an immeasurable honor. I sit in silence on the cloud of your imaginings.

Rebekah, technically it's a conference for college students. I went to see how it's run and to get a better feel for the overall style, as it's a place I wouldn't mind speaking in the future. But the proceedings spoke to me as much as they did to the students. Maybe more so, since I came with half a life behind me. And with half a life still left to dream.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very interesting trip. Your photos are great! Thanks.

11:54 AM  
Blogger elaine @ peace for the journey said...

A stunning "take-away" if you ask me.

I won't soon forget the red pipe marking the way from captivity to freedom. To hope.

A sacred thread indeed.

peace~elaine

2:11 PM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

My cursor rested on a photograph, and these words appeared: "Bass and vocals by LL Barkat." I thought, is there anything this lady can not do?

I have run sound for some years now, and couldn't help but notice that the dude behind the cellist has a 5-string bass. Nice. Last week, I saw a 6-string bass for the first time ever. I would have done a less conspicuous microphone boom-stand placement though. It's nice that they have lights and video monitors. There must be so many details in setting up for that event!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

The red pipes lead me.

Looks like wonderful feast was shared in that place. So glad you've given us these little crumbs...even they feed this hungry heart.

Stay on the mountaintop for a little, it's so nice up there!

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing.. really nice to experience great things through others!!! you amaze me!

1:18 AM  
Blogger Billy Coffey said...

Sounds like a wonderfully illuminating experience. So happy you could see it all, and so happy I could see it all through you.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home