Thursday, January 08, 2009

RAP: Found in the Outdoor Journal IV

Moss in the Woods

Well, it's done. One full year of outdoor journal tucked into chapters, for potential use when I finally start (finish?) writing God in the Yard. Here are some random fragments I rescued from the last pages and put into poem form.

I'm planning to make this the year of the journal. A different kind of journal, using Journaling as a Spiritual Practice to guide me. So hopefully I'll still have random poems to find and set here.


xxxxvii

Blueberry bushes
stripped, lean, beautiful
amber and crimson against
a bronze needle bed.


xxxxviii

How desperately
the dog next door
tells the world
that I am
here.


xxxxix

Moon shimmers, glassy blue
night; I lie under glistening
pine, watch house lights shine
over empty white yard while my
girl cuts cucumber crescents
on grain-gold kitchen counters.


xxxxx

Three cardinals volley
chirps, swing calls—
bush to hemlock to pine.


xxxxxi

Snow descends in dancing
sheets, sparkling cloth flung
out by a dressmaker’s hands.


xxxxxii

Trees black, struck against
faded cobalt sky and the sun
leaking tears, yellow, pink.


xxxxxiii

Furled leaves of wild
garlic mustard and, soon,
forsythia breakfasts!


xxxxxiv

Hemlocks sway, twigs
snap, slap the air—bold
tango at yard’s edge.


xxxxxv

Faintest tongues
of forsythia speak
cheer into the yard.


xxxxxvi

Forsythia triple-
leafed—fleur de lis
gracing the woods.


xxxxxvii

Red thorn berry
shriveled, deepened
to muted cranberry—
too-long suckled
by winter’s
urge.


xxxxxviii

Thorn-studded branch—
wan skeleton, brittle
against the landscape.


xxxxxix

Look around! Watch
the hemlocks swinging
hear the ‘thtick thtick’ of
little pinecones dropping
touch the pearl-blue sky
see the buds swelling
in hopes of spring.

Moss photo by L.L. Barkat.

POETRY FRIDAY:
Ann's Of Launching and Recovering
Mom2Six's Poetry
Erica's Morketiden
High Calling's The Poetry of Twitter
Joelle's Emptied

THANKS FOR THE HIGHLIGHT!
High Calling's Confetti Days

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

The one about the neighbor's dog made me smile. So many others are just outright gorgeous. I love XXXX, XXXXI, and XXXXIX.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I have followed quietly for some time, but must speak this day. You inspire! Thank you for this beauty that leaves me breathless, makes me smile, and leaves that wistful yearning...

What a gift to visit tonight.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Billy Coffey said...

Amazed and humbled by the pictures you continually create in my mind.

9:14 AM  
Blogger RissaRoo said...

Every time you post one of these Outdoor Journal poetry collections, I think "This one's my favorite". True again of post IV! I love the blueberry bushes (I love their color, too, and the needle bed). I also really like the one about the neighbor's dog, which captures the moment so well. And the way you describe the red thorn berry brings it to life in my mind. Beautiful!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Like Ruth, I liked the dog "desperately" letting the world know you're "here". Don't we all try to get attention, demand to be heard? Thinking of some of my students who try in not so subtle ways to catch teacher's eye. Who am I barking at? Is what I'm barking about really that important? You make me think.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura - Here's my first visit to your Blog, the first of many more to come! I love the outdoor poetry. I'm working on my next post, which is a story of a retreat in the Adirndacks - my favorite place in the world - and your poetry is priming me perfectly.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm....lots of things to read slowly and ponder.

Today I saw some Canadian geese doing something unusual (to be described in a forthcoming blog post, I hope) and thought, "There's a poem in this."

I might have thought that on my own, but your outdoor journal excerpts have reinforced it.

So I hope tomorrow the unusual geese-moment and the soft sunset backdrop will come together in a poem.

I'm so chirpy and silly, sometimes poetic attempts start to flow only to hiccup. And then I'm back to chatty prose. We shall see. Thank you, though, for inspiring.

10:28 PM  
Blogger sojourner said...

i was drawn to this:
"the sun leaking tears, yellow, pink."
you take great photos!
i've yet to purchase my 2009 journel - i'm already falling behind!

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see it. And it's beautiful.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you write in a whole different language than i can, and yet it is not a different language than i can understand and even realate to.

i am sure that what transfers from reading it becomes part of my life somewhere.

it is a pretty interesting kind of communication...writing and reading. i have been thinking on it today.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a beautiful photo of the moss-imagining my hand gliding over a bunch of it! I love the last poem, too!
Thanks for the link to 'A Year Ago Today'. Oh, to be back there, in that house, enjoying the cow neighbors and the coyotes at night. Painful sadness over leaving :(
(I'm still mulling around the whole name thing-it never really occured to me how my name has always been an issue in my life.)
Have a great day!

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home