Monday, August 30, 2010

On, In, and Around Mondays: Room with A View

trees at sunset

It is Saturday. Writing day. Usually I am out on one of the porches, either looking towards hemlocks or the little herb garden where I have—amidst flowers—rosemary, sage and thyme. But today it is peach-yellow bedroom walls, antique carved wooden rocker, a pile of French children's books, and an eclipsed view of the river (trees in full leaf obscure it until winter).

My chest hurts and, oddly, my legs. Yesterday I thought I would be better by today. Instead I feel like I must have run a marathon and my muscles have post-workout lactic acid buildup. I did not run a marathon. I am simply sick.

I can hear guitar in the next room. "For me He died, for me He lives." It is the song for tonight, the accompaniment for a daughter who will sing her father's last request. We worshiped alongside her father for many years, prayed with him and, more lately, for him. He was not that old. His daughter is, I think, too young to have to sing this song.

Now I hear the strains of the final refrain, "And everlasting life and light He freely gives."

I am writing in my peach-yellow bedroom. The color cheers me, even as I lie here sore and headachy. In a few minutes I will pull my sheets over my shoulders and go back to sleep. I look out my window. I know the river is beyond the trees.

Trees by the River photo, by L.L. Barkat.

---

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place.

Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below. If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Mama K said...

I am very sorry to hear you are sick, and I hope that you feel better very soon. Peach-yellow walls, a comfy blanket, and some tea will probably help.

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I know the river is beyond the trees." So good-- on so many levels.

I hope a new week finds you feeling better!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Deidra said...

"...the river is beyond the trees..." Yes. I am sure of it.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Hope you feel better soon.

Peppermint or mint tea might help.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Erin said...

I too am mesmerized by the one line about the river hidden until winter!

This past winter I looked out over barren trees and felt their scarcity within me. The only consolation was that the horizon wasn't obstructed, and I decided that barrenness allows you to keep your eyes fixed on the hills, from where our Help comes.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Michelle DeRusha said...

Hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you are resting peacefully.

3:26 PM  
Blogger ELK said...

tears spring to my eyes upon letting these words soak in ..it is good

4:16 PM  
Anonymous HisFireFly said...

Praying that you are feeling better today, that the oil of His healing has flowed down upon you.

Even in your discomfort, your words were beautiful!

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Bradley J. Moore said...

Blech. Not a fun feeling. I am surprised that you even willed yourself to write anything at all! WHen I feel sick like that you can't get me to do much of anything. Shows how much of a true writer you actually are! Press on!

Hope you're feeling better by now, mon ami.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

Hope you're feeling better. May God bless you in every way, and draw you ever closer to himself.

Been praying for you, Laura.

I've just added my link (I hope that it "takes")to On...Monday. Better late than never, eh?

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Ann Kroeker said...

Too late to write, but hoping all is well.

When it comes to writing, I'm sure grateful for a laptop that I can tote here and there, wherever my mood takes me. I do, however, work from right here at my desk many days because all of my papers are here. It's an uninspired setting, but handy.

Get well soon, friend!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Kim Hyland said...

Your "place" is familiar. I've been in bed a bit this week as well. Today, I lay listening to the vacuum interrupted by my daughter's impromptu piano compositions. Comforting how life rolls on in the everyday and the beautiful with or without me.

Thanks for your visit :)

9:53 PM  
Blogger Brian Miller said...

i hope you feel better soon...and yes the river is there...

7:38 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

I hope you're feeling better, L.L. Lovely thoughts on the hymn which I know (a wonderful one) and the sad occasion, but lined with hope.

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home