Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Christmas in Verse

Snow Storm Gail Nadeau

An offering for the writing project going on at TheHighCalling.org. Come join us! :)

Another Christmas Ghost

I am always thinking,
now I do not miss you
anymore.

And I am right.
Words on the page are mine
without you, as are the mourning doves
who murmur in the trees. Christmas tea
is mine, and cream, laughter
ringing on an empty street,
children are mine (I brush
their amber hair), the curl
of my toes on air is mine,
and the curve of my
doll-like hand.
I am right, I do not miss you
anymore.

Then I turn a page of Neruda,
Kooser, Berry, Keats—
find I am always
wrong.


Winter Trees photo by Gail Nadeau. Used with permission.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Louise Gallagher said...

This is very poignant and sweet... and sad too.

Beautiful

9:09 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

But such wonderful company to keep!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These Christmas poems are just exquisite. I love them, LL!

9:17 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Oh, I love this L.L. - the imagery and the ending. It is just beautiful.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Dan Roloff said...

Now that's a POET. ;)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

We smile and chase the Blaue Blume. We shed a tear and absence makes the heart grow fonder...

3:26 PM  
Blogger Brock S. Henning said...

There's just something about Christmas and ghosts, and naked trees in a woods covered in snow...an eerie calm. I always love a good ghost tale (and poem!) this time of year.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Michelle DeRusha said...

I love this. I was going to use the poignant, but see that M.L. snagged it already!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Deidra said...

Oh, this is nice.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Melissa Campbell said...

Poignant is the word. :)

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

elegant,
rocking writing..
keep it up.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://jinglepoetry.blogspot.com/2010/12/poetry-potluck-hobbies-passions.html

Happy Wednesday!
Blessings!
Welcome link in a poem to our potluck today.
Your talent rocks…
Keep sharing, stay blessed…
xoxox


we are still open and welcome in...

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home