Monday, January 24, 2011

On, In, and Around Mondays: White Windows

Snow Shadows 3

I turn to put a white plate in the white dishwasher. But I can't help looking out the window on my way. White snow catches my eye.

Or, more truly, it is the shadows on the snow. No other time of year lays itself out quite like this, a sparkle canvas to be blue-shadow painted.

I go outside.


Snow Shadows 2

Earlier, we had a guest, spontaneous invitation to our table just now covered with white linen cloth. We ate nachos, salad, broccoli... got talking about creative genius Bill Strickland, who works with the poor, bringing them art, music and good jobs with good pay.

"I can't remember how he got his vision for his amazingly beautiful Center."

"He looked out the window," my Eldest answers me.


Snow Shadows 1

Evening comes. I serve French toast. My Eldest touches the table cloth, moves it between her fingers, notes that she had put it on upside down.

"Too bad," I say. "Our guest didn't get to see the beautiful handiwork."

"Is it homemade?" she asks, now tracing the tiny taupe stitches that surround delicate cutouts.

"My great grandmother made it as a wedding gift for my grandmother."

We notice that a few of the cutouts never got made. Cloth stretches blank like closed windows we can't look through.


Snow Shadows 4

I think to cut the cloth she did not notice. But they were her windows she forgot to open. I decide to let them be.


Snow Shadows 5

---

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger David Rupert said...

I've always been an outdoorsman, appreciating the wonder around me. But reading "God in the Yard" has my eyes just a little wider -- and my heart at the same time

8:09 AM  
Blogger Cassandra Frear said...

This is a very nice series you're doing here. It reminds me of an exercise I read in a book on journaling -- which is to describe something near you and a writing prompt. Your button is very artistic, too. :-)

8:11 AM  
Blogger Louise Gallagher said...

Bill Strickland's center is amazing -- we are in the process of attempting to create something like it here.

This entry is beautiful -- melodic, filled with shadow and nuance, like the blue on white snow outside your window.

Lovely.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Kathleen@so much to say said...

I like the way you drew the blue into it. I've never actually processed the shadows as blue, and now I wonder how that word never came to mind, in all the times I've spent admiring the play of light and shadow on snow.

I would love to see the tablecloth. :)

9:54 AM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

I love, love the way you captured the shadows on the snow! You have to have an artist's eye to see that kind of pictures and get the camera to see them too!

Thank you for being you!

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think most of us would be inspired to a little more greatness if we would take the time to look outside more.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely view out of your window :-)

8:18 PM  
Blogger Violet N. said...

I love the image of the white tablecloth with taupe stitches. Is it the cutout craft called 'hardanger'?

I am taking your "on in and around mondays" as a weekly poetry challenge. Thanks for hosting this!

12:54 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love your white windows. May I join the party just a wee bit late? You know how I love to make an entrance...

9:39 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oh, and, hey! I remember that Bill Strickland. An old friend that seems to have crossed my path eons ago. So much water under the bridge since then. I never would have dreamed that turning the pages of his book would lead me where I am today. :)

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

I forgot to link. Oops.

Love how our vision centers when we look out the window.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home