Monday, June 27, 2011

On, In, and Around Mondays: Imagining What We Need

boy standing

The deck is empty of toys. Just grown-up things are placed here and there. A table with black-armed lawn chairs. An old mop. A pillow for grandma to lean against. A faux black-iron pot, which once held flowers. Twine, rope, a suitcase carrier. A plastic blimp whose function is undetermined.

My Littlest senses this won't do, for young cousins in need of diversion. She proposes a carnival.

Boy turns

Mop becomes pony ride, rope becomes tether. Blimp becomes hanging boxing toy. Pot, a receptacle for a tossing-the-twine game. Suitcase carrier is suddenly trolley (only for the youngest, my girl tells the cousins). Chairs, in a row, are a roller coaster. "I'm the dwiver!" shouts the tiny boy cousin. "Okay, you're the driver!" shouts my Littlest in return.

Children become players in a play. Cowgirls are attacked by a tiny cowboy. "It's a bandit!" cries my girl. "I'm a band-aid!" he cries in return.

boy walking

When it is time for supper, grandpa tries to put the chairs back, undo the blimp. The tiny cousin protests, "No! Don't. We worked hard on dis!"

And they did. I sit in the family room, watching all. Learning from the children, again. To laugh and imagine.

pillow in lawn chair

---


On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Oh, this is delightful! If we get your pony-mop and my hula-hoop together we could really have a party! Just plain fun.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Shaunie @ Up the Sunbeam said...

I agree with Laura! Utterly Delightful!!

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Diana Trautwein said...

Isn't it wonderful to watch our kids use their imaginations so wonderfully? Thank you for this one - and kudos to your girl for spearheading this creativity. Just lovely.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I thought this was going to be a sad post, about missing the days when the deck held toys. Nope. I was so pleasantly surprised by this picture you painted. They really did work hard!

2:30 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

How terrific that there are still children who know how to use their imaginations to have a great time at the carnival. I'm so glad you got to be an observer of children at happy play. Thanks for your faithfulness in posting "On...Monday" every week.

A big cyberhug to you!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

"Learning from the children, again. To laugh and imagine." I love that. Sounds like they had a great, creative time. And you did too. . . . Guess I should get off the computer and go do some watching to learn. Again.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Can I play?

Sadly, I'm too often the one trying to tidy up the place, wrecking all the fun. Working on that ... Working on letting the fun just sit awhile longer... :)

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Diana Trautwein said...

Well...a major brain burp today. Linked the wrong post the first time and I really did think it was the right one - but I discovered tonight that I had put your button and Laura's on the second link I added. It is entirely possible that NEITHER one of them fits today...it's apparently a day like that. Sorry for the double link-up. (and really sorry for the double use of the word 'wonderful' in my earlier comment. Sheesh.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Oh I do love imagining. Thank you for this L.L.

8:40 PM  
Blogger sojourner said...

delightful imaginations of children! thank you for bringing me there and around!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Joelle said...

I love this vignette of real living. They know how to do it, children....

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home