Friday, May 27, 2011

Ghost in the Appliances

Stove and Reflections

I have never been one to like guns. My stepfather displayed his rifles on the living room wall (which frightened me), and I watched my mother pull a trigger once (the shotgun kick-back threw her to the ground). We ate deer all winter, claimed by buckshot; I couldn’t look when the deer lay silently in the back of the baby-blue pickup truck.

Despite my feelings about firearms, I am just now thinking of buying a pistol. Because, today, my stove unilaterally changed its clock to military time. I don’t remember this option in the user’s manual. (Just what, I ask, must a stove be planning, to take such measures?)

continue reading, at Curator Magazine

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Wonderful essay, L.L.

Trailing flowers in that old sink might be nice.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

Delightful!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Louise Gallagher said...

This is a fabulous essay -- you bring the haunting essence of time and place and character into clear view.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Ah. Have you read "Doe Season" by David Michael Kaplan? I resonated so deeply with the young huntress' pain at the doe's suffering and death, as I do with your beautiful words, L.L.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Simply Darlene said...

Oh my land, this is a hoot! I love it.

I recently wrote something on a similar thread-- well they are similar because both pieces mention a woman packin' heat.

http://allthechurchladies.com/a-proper-church-lady-i-am-not/

And we have an outside sink full of hens & chicks we've been hauling around with us for the last 19 months... so that more than suffices for your sink issues. Or maybe it adds to them. Shhh. Don't tell the stove.

Blessings.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home