Monday, July 11, 2011

On, In, and Around Mondays: Writing in Other Puddles

Boy on Deck

I am late here today. You know that. And you also know how quiet I've been overall, here and at my other blogs. This is what happens when I go off to another writing puddle for a while. I just can't sustain words in too many places at once. Forgive me? Please?

See, last year I thought about writing a book on writing. Yet as the months went by, I thought more about NOT writing the book than I thought about writing it. In the meantime, some fun people kept nudging me, "When are you going to write again?" And I kept saying, "I'm tired. I have nothing to write about."

Looking Down on Umbrella

Then I went to a picnic this spring, where all that changed. I had woken up that day, not writing a book, but by evening I was. Sometimes this is how it goes. Someday maybe you can read about how it happened. It involved a request to my daughter, to get me something to drink.

I have learned from past experience that I can stall my writer-self if I share news of a big project too early in the process. I need the freedom to write without thinking I'll be letting anyone down if it doesn't work out. I need the freedom to play in the rain, so to speak.

feet and umbrella

I am almost finished writing, so I thought to come and tell you: Maybe I'll find more words here again. I'm not sure. Either way, know that your presence in my life is a big part of what sent me to another writing puddle. And for that, I thank you...

umbrella

---


On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Ann Kroeker said...

Well you know I'm waiting with bated breath!

We will all learn from your wisdom and experience--you know how to tell stories and tell them well (and how to help others tell their stories well). You've taught me so much already, as we've worked together. Can't wait to see how you've assembled your philosophy and practical ideas for readers to put them to use.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Almost finished?! Amazing.

We'll have fun playing in the puddle and helping make it a big splash.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Megan Willome said...

I am so excited!

I also appreciate the encouragement to keep quiet for a while to let new things grow (or not). That's something to add to your book, if it's not already in there.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Cheri L Atkinson said...

i'm just beginning to realize my great need to first "play" for a while with a thought or vision or project... i'm going to think more on this puddle picture.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You are amazing. I can't believe you are almost finished! And I can't wait. Maybe in this writing book you will share how you do this so quickly :). So looking forward to the next release.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Shaunie @ Up the Sunbeam said...

Since I wrote about my own feeling of having nothing to write lately, you can't imagine how it lifts my spirits to find that someone with your experience and success has those times too!! Glad to know that I'm not automatically disqualified!! So excited to hear about your new project!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

The freedom to write and play without letting anyone down if you stop...yes...love the quiet space that gives. And we will be blessed in the sharing.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Simply Darlene said...

love the images
waiting for the book-words
(or any words from you)

play in puddles...

is there any
other thing
to do in them?

Blessings.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

bookmarked!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Janis Van Keuren said...

Such an encouraging and freeing post about writing~and life. I remember a former Bible Study teacher telling us to let the new growth take root before we share it. It's almost as if the evil one can rip it from our hearts if we haven't given it time to germinate within us. Time with the Lord to meditate on what He is teaching and time to practice. I like the idea of adding "playing" into the mix.
So, with all the others, I look forward to this accomplishment of yours that will bless many writers!
Janis

8:27 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

A book on writing! And almost finished! I, for one, can't wait. I have a pile of writing books on my table - trying to get serious about the business of writing. I can't think of anyone else's brain I'd rather pick!
For this, I excuse your silence :-)

9:31 PM  
Blogger Louise Gallagher said...

And whatever you're writing, it will be a wonderful puddle to splash in for all your readers!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you never cease to amaze me..

7:37 PM  
Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Gasp!

I'm thrilled. I can't wait to learn more from you. You're a terrific teacher, writer, artist, dreamer. I'm eager to see what you've been kicking around in that puddle.

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

Oh, I can't wait to play in that puddle with you!

Can we drink tea and eat peach yogurt together?

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home