Saturday, November 19, 2011

On, In, and Around Mondays: Writing Your Way

light

It's all in the angle, I tell her.

I think of that now, looking back on this photograph. The day was ending golden. The leaves of the wood-winged bushes were a rapturous hue of peach. (They make you feel as if you are drinking a pink wine, or touching a soft hand, or splitting the skin of a new fruit with your teeth. It's a color like no other, and I have never seen it in nature except on the wood-winged bushes.)

Angling my camera, I hoped to capture the hue. And mildly did.

Then I tilted the black body in an unexpected direction and the whole scene changed. Mystery, in a mix of sepia-charcoal, appeared. Click, click. I was mesmerized. Was this the same wood I'd been capturing in peach only moments ago?

It's all in the angle, I tell her. And I am speaking about writing. I'm speaking to my girl, who has been struggling to find meaning in some of her distance-learning-school assignments.

It's not what they give you, I try to tell her.

It's the way you hold it up to the light. Turn it and turn again. It's all in the angle, girl.

Take a shot.




_______

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

I wish you could have taught my kids. They probably do, too. Talking about your book this Sunday with the women from my church. Hope to do it justice.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Brandee Shafer said...

I love this. Such truth. Pertains to our situation, circumstance, and season, too. We can't always choose what happens to us, but we can always choose how we respond to it.

12:55 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

This is wonderful, and now I know what next week's writing class will be about! So thank you, and my students will no doubt be thanking you also :-)

3:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa notes... said...

Yes, it's all in the angle. So true. I'm taking a shot...

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Kathleen Basi said...

It's a beautiful thought, especially for writers.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time here... thanks.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

What a fine illustration. The scene can become something new when we look from a different tilt.

Thank you.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

I think I wrote mine for you today, Laura. I loved your photo too - thought I commented, actually!

My brain only half-works lately...

10:29 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Such good advice. Always worth hearing (or seeing) again. This photography thing teaches me this way too. Seeing takes so much more than eyes.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Shanda said...

LOVE this. It's not about where we are but "It's the way you hold it up to the light." So much of life is about where we chose to angle the camera.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Shaunie @ Up the Sunbeam said...

Photography is one of my favorite teachers--you have highlighted one of the reasons why!! Beautiful!!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Blue Cotton Memory said...

I have been struggling with the same thing - a teen trying to find meaning with the school work he is doing. Thank you for the "angle" on how to maybe help his perception!!!

12:15 AM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

May God bless you today, Laura. Keep up the good work of finding fresh perspectives!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Dolly @Soulstops said...

Your daughter is blessed to have your words of wisdom. Thanks for sharing.

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home