Saturday, January 14, 2012

On, In, and Around Mondays: Writing the Come-Again

twig2

It's just another day on the trail. Me, biding my time, while my girl rides the auburn stallion around the ring.

I go off, pick my way around horse droppings, to get some time in the open. I've been here so many times now, and I wonder why I bother to bring my camera yet again. The season is the same. The same grey twigs raise their dryness towards the sky. There are the wineberry canes, still red and leaning. Same indigo berries, a little more shriveled by winter's moisture-absent air.

My fingers around the camera, I'm fiddling with the dark body, figuring it will stay in my pocket, wondering why I weighed myself down with it (I feel every little weight I carry). "Nothing today," I mumble, even thinking back to my red cardinal of a few weeks ago; he's made no appearance today.

"Change the angle and proximity, Laura," I suddenly think. "Do you really think you've seen it all?"

I move to the side of the trail and choose a dry twig that's hanging down from an empty tree. I fool with the settings on my camera, wish Claire or Kelly were here. They'd know what to do. They're the ones who've been teaching me.

I am on my own. Or maybe I'm not.

Their advice guides my vision now, and my fingers. I move in close, blur the background. This twig is no longer the same. Like my writing need not be the same. Though I come again, to the me I am, and the same-old places I live.

Come again. Come again. I feel I have found a secret to play with, to quietly sing.

twig 1
_______

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Brock S. Henning said...

Ah, it's so good to read your blog again (now that I'm getting caught up on the social networking world after months out of sorts).

To look at where I'm at, a familiar place, but I know it offers something different this time around. I want, no I need, to find a way to look at this differently.

Such a blessing to read this today, Laura. Always a pleasure to read your words and step into the photographic world of your reality.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

come once
to take in

the view come
again you see

12:42 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I read here often, and today, decided to play along. Happy to join you in this, always inspired when I read here.... Thank you. God be with you, wherever you wander this weekend.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

These words led me to the grasshoppers.

Thank you.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

In the same way that you find new perspectives in familiar places, may you also find new insights and love for our God. We can never reach far enough to become too familiar with God for our own good, but may you never stop looking unto him, "the author and finisher of our faith".

I've posted my link.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. Fellow writer and homeschooling mom here.
I'm looking forward to Rumors of Water, which should be here any day now.

Blessings,

~ Debra

http://debrasblogpureandsimple.blogspot.com

10:09 PM  
Blogger Lisa notes... said...

Do I really think I've seen it all either? I do sometimes think that, to my shame. Thank you for reminding us that NEVER have we seen it all.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! We need to revisit the everyday with fresh toddler eyes. When we do we are surprised by joy!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I think you make Claire and Kelly proud :). Beautiful image, beautiful thoughts. I love riding lessons :). They seem to be teaching us all.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I love how perspective is everything and when we change our perspective, it changes everything! :) Thanks for the reminder that, "We haven't seen everything!"

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Dolly@ Soul Stops said...

So glad that I get to "come again" to your blog : ) Thanks, L.L.

5:47 PM  
Blogger diana said...

Sometimes it depends on the angle, doesn't it? Looking from a different angle creates a whole new object. Thanks for looking twice.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny... walking the wood with camera dangling around my neck wondering if there is anything to shoot under grey skies and over white snow! Just need to look a little closer. Nice write.

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home