Saturday, April 28, 2012

On, In, and Around Mondays: Eating the Simple

Dandelion

They got a $157,000 grant to study dandelions.

But long before this, my mother taught us to eat the greens.

Sometimes we eat the flowers too, tickly as they are, because there's a lovely sweetness inside the tickle. Cut open the stems or leaves, and you've got a free remedy for skin conditions. The roots are said to taste like coffee, and that's where the $157,000 tea is being brewed... from knobbly-looking roots.

How many times have you dug those roots up and tossed them in the compost pile? Every root an astonishing elixir against cancer.

I am reminded again of the power of simple things. Common things. Unexpected things. The sweetness of a sunshine tickle, just outside the door.
_______


On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button



This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



16 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

It's marvelous that people are looking to the natural world as a curative source. That dandelions could defeat the particular form of cancer noted in the article would be something to celebrate.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Robin Lawrimore said...

It feels refreshing to my soul to read about treasure God has packed into something like dandelions. Thank you.

1:08 PM  
Blogger HeARTworks said...

there is treasure all around. we just have to open our eyes and see! Patsy from
HeARTworks

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made my first dandelion tea last night. I'm going to continue to perfect the brew. I have been searching for these more natural remedies and cures for cancer; the current medical regimens seem to kill instead of heal. I love the irony of this, though, if my war on dandelions over the past year ends up being a cure for cancer! I'm going to write about this sometime this week and will link back here.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous kendal said...

in the everyday....

8:57 PM  
Blogger Shanda said...

I've eaten dandelions. My tortoises love them! We so often miss the simple things! I grew up in Africa and we had an hibiscus tree. The people used to always come strip our tree of it's leaves to cook. It made a delicious meal!

9:10 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

I've thought many times that if dandelions were a rare species, people would drive for miles and miles to see a lush patch of them. For the yellow dandelion flower is as lovely as any daisy or lily. And of course the exotic, puffy seed head would be labled exquisite -- if it weren't for the fact that one little puff can interlace a garden or lawn with non-rare new plantings!

Blessings to you today, Laura.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous bluecottonmemory said...

My husband's family just finished their annual Plant Sale: Relay for Life to find a cure for cancer. We read about those dandelions! Passed it on. This weekend, they talked about hedge apples curing cancer! Those dandelions are a good reason to have a yard full of them! Thanks for linking us!

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Sylvia R said...

After years of disdain, I discovered the goodness of dandelions not long ago. Wrote about it here:
http://sylvrpen.com/2010/04/a-dande-day/
Now I even dry, roast, and brew those roots, but didn't know about skin remedies. How many gifts God gives whose blessings we miss out on!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Lisa notes... said...

The power of simple things. I heard today: better deep and simple than shallow and complex. (I think it was a Mr. Rogers quote?)

8:04 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

I'm smiling at the memory of a science class where we cooked the greens and then served them up as a gourmet meal. We thought our teacher was crazy! Now i know he was just wise!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my word! God used your post to again speak to me of the little things. You have to read my "little...it's getting louder" and you'll appreciate how God used you this am! Thanks!
Michelle

9:11 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Camp said...

Oh, I want to see and appreciate the healing power of all He's given! Thank you!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Theresa Miller said...

Oh yes, simple. Getting back to simple in all that God naturally designed. Love that interesting fact!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Joe Pote said...

Who knew those simple "weeds" in my yard could have so many beneficial uses?

Thanks for sharing!

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Dolly@Soulstops said...

yes, to the power of simple things, and the sweetness of a sunshine tickle...love that phrase...thanks, L.L.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home