Saturday, March 24, 2012

On, In, and Around Mondays: Draw that Circle Now

Poetry Circle

She opens the box.

It is books. A lot of poetry books. Sent to me by an editor friend.

I figure she will look through them, stack them up somewhere in the living room, walk away.

But no.

She makes a circle. "It's a poetry circle!" she exclaims. "For you!"

I am sorry I can't sit cross-legged in that space on the hardwood floor, but I love the idea, and I say so. I tell her, too, that it feels magical and inspiring. Perfect for writing.

I've been reading Get Rich Click, and getting too many ideas about both business and writing.

Last night, a bit overawed at the too-many-ideas, I thought of the Poetry Circle. I thought about how important it is to not get side-tracked with everybody else's ideas of what you should do, or even your own ideas when they are too many.

"Just draw a circle, Laura," I thought. "You can hop in, you can hop out. But when you're in, it's a sacred, quiet, focused place. Both powerful and peaceful, in its way."

_______

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm somewhere around monday.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Shanda said...

I love the idea of the circle that is sacred; just for one person. A place where you are never judged and can be you!

9:22 PM  
Anonymous kendal said...

can i LIVE in that circle, please?

10:10 PM  
Anonymous bluecottonmemory said...

Our children, they open that box and give us the opportunity to step out of it, don't they!

12:15 AM  
Blogger Joe Pote said...

A poetry circle...

What a beautiful picture of finding a quiet place for prayer and reflection!

Thanks for sharing!

6:44 AM  
Blogger My Offering said...

I love the ideas attached to the circular form, so much meaning within it (literally and figuratively!) This link-up - it's a poetry circle, yes?

6:50 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

I need that circle, too :) When my firstborn was 2, he used to build a circle of books around his new sister to "keep her safe." I think a poetry circle would do the same for me.. keep me safe from worrying about platforms, numbers, and performance. Keep me safe to just be the me God made me to be.. as a writer and as His daughter. Thanks for the beautiful image to start my Monday!

7:08 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I would love to be inside that poetry circle. Maybe I am. My big toe, perhaps? The ways you invite me in are so...inviting.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous kd sullivan said...

Isn't that true about the blogging world, and about writing in general. Recently, an author acquaintance suggested that all writers only write for money. (We were discussing The Hunger Games) And therefore we could not trust the values in the books...I wholeheartedly disagree!! I think anything worth reading is because the author looked past themselves and what others would think and poured their most precious thoughts and beliefs onto a sheet of paper. What gift!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Laurie Collett said...

In singing and acting workshops, especially with children, the leader will sometimes draw a "magic circle" and tell the participants that they can do anything in the safety of that circle without fear of being criticized. You've captured that feeling beautifully in your post and in this link-up!
God bless,
Laurie

2:03 PM  
Blogger Lisa notes... said...

I know the circle. I've been sitting in it quietly the past hour and writing.

Love this. Thank you.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Dolly said...

how delightful...a poetry circle and your insights :)

4:45 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

Think outside the box but think inside the circle.

I'll remember that next time I feel overwhelmed by advice.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Monica Sharman said...

Thanks very much for sharing, especially the photo. I need some quieting nowadays (well, it's ongoing), and this helps.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous K said...

I love that photo!


And I love the idea of the poetry circle. It is so easy to get caught up in all the things we should do or could do and not focus on the words made beautiful, isn't it?

Thank you for this reminder that I have the power to stop the madness and step inside that poetry circle and play for a bit.

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home