Saturday, May 05, 2012

On, In and Around Mondays: Focusing on the Wild

Dandelion white

Every year, this lawn gets wilder. 

I have been letting it happen, even making it happen by spreading dandelion seeds to the wind, by refusing to mow the leopard-faced flowers that look something like violets but smaller and more elongated. This morning, I was greeted by more buttercups, more purple spike flowers, more wild mustard than I was last year in May.


LeopardFaced Flowers

I love this wildness, this lack of landscaping focus—in a county that prizes the pristine, the trimmed, the perfectly edged.


Purple Spike Flowers

Suddenly, the thought rises in me—a thought I've been toying with in conversations and private musings for the past few weeks. I'm unfocused. Like my wild lawn. I am never going to win the prize for the best rose garden, the biggest and reddest tomatoes, the greenest dandelion-free grass. I am also never going to win the prize for being a national speaker, a top-selling author. I can't stand the focus it requires. 

One of the conversations I had, concerning this matter, was with a visionary photographer friend. She is far more than a photographer, dipping her hands into business and investments, and all manner of networking and people-building. I told her I really couldn't see her focusing on one aspect of photography and trying to make a name for herself that way. I asked, "Can you really picture yourself on a 5,000-ways-to-photograph-a-biscuit track?"

I also told her that this is a particular kind of gift, this wildness in her spirit, this vision she has to keep thinking up the next thing and then moving on.

I'm thinking this is me too. I can focus. I can focus on my wild ways. Spreading seed, cultivating the purple in life, building the raucous creativity of color in people and systems. I can let this happen, yes. I can even make it happen.


Whirl

_______

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button



This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: , , , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Yes, you can. You do. In so many ways. I love this wildness about you, my friend. It is all that makes a life rich.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

... cultivating the purple in life. Yes, that is my goal. Thank you for articulating.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous JoDee Luna said...

I relate with your personal discovery: "I am also never going to win the prize for being a national speaker, a top-selling author. I can't stand the focus it requires....I can focus on my wild ways. Spreading seed, cultivating the purple in life, building the raucous creativity of color in people and systems."

You put words to my heart's song. Thank you.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Monica Sharman said...

I like the idea of shifting focus. I like to think that way of "mission statements," too. The more specific it is, the more often I need to reevaluate and adjust.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa notes... said...

There's a lot to be said for variety and being able to see God in multiple places in multiple ways. It may or may not bring fame, but it fosters worship. I'm glad you're you.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

I love your photos of wild things, though I'm not sure I'd want them overtaking my lawn! I've already got a problem with that. The tree in my back yard just gets bigger and bigger, so now it shades the whole lawn. I have an assortment of violet leaves (they don't seem to bloom)and some stubby stuff that would become low and wild shrubs if the grass weren't kept mowed. Oh yes, there are also dandelions, but I try not to let them go to seed. I really do want to walk through my yard with my feet not snagged!

May Jesus Christ complete your life and fulfill you in him.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous kendal said...

hmmmm. this makes me feel a lot better about my yard and my brain....

9:57 PM  
Blogger Theresa Miller said...

Awe, yes, I can relate a bit here. The focus it takes...I'd rather just spread some creative seed all around me. Love your creativity!

11:37 PM  
Blogger diana said...

I like a little wildness in a person. And I definitely like a lot of purple in the world.

3:33 AM  
Blogger Joe Pote said...

I sometimes refer to my life, and my approach to getting things done, as "semi-organized chaos."

Sounds like you and I have some things in common...

Thanks for sharing!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Camp said...

Oh, wow. I feel liberated reading this. What fun and freedom to live in celebration of how you've been created -- and to rejoice in the joy this brings to you and to the world. So appreciate this. Thank you.

9:56 AM  
Blogger David Rupert said...

I don't like neighbors like you, with all your dandeloins and unkempt lawn.

However, I love friends like you. Crazy and unpredictable.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Sylvia R said...

Thank you! This is me, too. Not forever out of focus, all over the place, I can focus on one thing at a time, but that focus keeps shifting, lots of variety. Too much? I used to think so. Now I don't! And I like dandelions, too!

11:01 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

So beautiful and oh, how I can relate to this wild, untamed, far off, unfocused spirit at times. Just love this line, "I also told her that this is a particular kind of gift, this wildness in her spirit, this vision she has to keep thinking up the next thing and then moving on."

12:01 PM  
Blogger Laurie Collett said...

I'm with you -- give me wildflowers any day! I'm off in too many directions to truly excel at anything, but I pray to be Spirit-led in whatever I do.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Ann Kroeker said...

I was just telling someone I needed more focus on my blog.

Now I'm thinking, "Maybe not?"

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Dolly@Soulstops said...

Thank you for sharing your creativity and how you cultivate the wild...this is funny, I was thinking about how I need to be more focused...but at this point, I am asking for the grace to follow Jesus however wild or focused that may be...

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this is wonderful!! Being wild and being free to be the you who God created!
Gee, my yard is like yours too!! I need to ponder this for me!
loving you, ~ linda

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. My husband read the "lawncare manual" that had blank pages throughout! He likes to leave the wildflowers up and growing this time of year too! Leaving little and big patches of color are wonderful, but that "Johnson grass" causes him to mow places he would rather NOT!
Tee Hee, ~ linda

11:20 PM  
Blogger Stephani Cochran said...

I love this. Unfortunately I'm a little too unfocused! I'm glad I found this place today. I have linked up for the first time.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

I love the wild beauty you write about.. and live.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home