Saturday, June 16, 2012

On, In, and Around Mondays: Opening the Creative Door

doorknob

She chose to frame it as a question of doors. Used a story from childhood, about how she had been afraid to turn a handle. The book club post was about Risk.

This morning I'm marveling. The imagery throughout this week's chapter of The Artist's Way is doors. (Was she prescient? Or had she read ahead? ;-)

I like this quote, for instance. Wrote it down... "Rather than allow himself to be blocked, he looked for the other door."

Sometimes when I am going through a big questioning time in my life, when I am feeling blocked or wishing for more, I end up dreaming of a huge house. It never looks quite the same, but it is always rambling. And it has a lot of doors, of course. With a lot of handles just waiting to be turned.

Cameron says, "One of our favorite things to do—instead of our art—is to contemplate the odds [that we won't succeed]."

I think what I like about my recurring dream is that it invites me to forget about "success" and the odds. Every door is a promise. I can't go wrong. Every room seems to lead one to the other, and every room is intriguing.

"Small actions lead us," reminds Cameron. Why yes. One little handle, turned, opens up a whole house of dreams.

______

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button



This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



ts book club no border

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Lyla Lindquist said...

She certainly had not read ahead. ;-)

11:32 AM  
Blogger Debra said...

So much depends on a red door. For some strange reason I keep seeing a red door. What could that mean?
Dreams of doors, memories of doors…
http://debrasblogpureandsimple.blogspot.com/2012/06/still-point.html

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this analogy on doors. I found it very inspiring. Thanks and God bless.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

'Open the door of your treasure today,
for tomorrow the key will not be in your hands.'
Sa'di

Think about all the doors we go through every day!

And all those metaphors and illusions involving doors.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I've always loved doors--the look of doors, especially old ones. I also love old keys. Perhaps there is more to this attraction than their interesting lines and curves. Interesting thoughts about the possibilities that always lie before us!

5:42 PM  
Anonymous bluecottonmemory said...

A lot of times, I just stand there, staring at the door because I don't want to change course - then I realize - oh, try another door - why didn't I do that earlier?!

10:38 PM  
Anonymous JoDee Luna said...

This is my favorite part, "I think what I like about my recurring dream is that it invites me to forget about "success" and the odds." What a liberating statement that precedes passage through the door. Thank you for sharing your insights, dreams, and reflections.

1:23 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Camp said...

I so needed to read this, to be reminded of the many doors there are to open, all the possibilities and adventure that awaits, if I trust the Father. Thank you.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Laurie Collett said...

I was just thinking this week that 3 doors have been closed this year in 1 of our ministries, yet 1 is opening and only God knows which doors are yet to open. Thanks for the great post & for hosting the linkup.
God bless,
Laurie

3:27 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I am timidly, shakily turning the handle on a long dreamed of door. This is so timely Laura.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

Hoping you have many open doors to showcase your creativity, Laura.

"One thing have I desired, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to enquire in his temple." (Psalms)

5:24 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I listened to a very short interview of Meindert DeJong (The Wheel on the School, etc...) today from Calvin College. He would go fishing when he hit that block when nothing poured out of his fingers. He would let his subconscious simmer.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Dolly@Soulstops said...

what a lovely house to dream about...your post was what I needed to be reminded of today, as I open the door in front of me...thanks, Laura :)

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home