Monday, June 11, 2012

On, In, and Around Mondays: Snip by Snip Approach to Goals

Thorns

The thorn bush has overtaken its space in my front yard.

Prickly stems with teardrop leaves reach into the azalea, hover over hosta, poke the leaves of the chocolate plant.

I can't believe what it takes to tackle this goal of mine, to bring the thorn bush back into shape. First I must buy a better pair of clippers. Then find a suitable pair of women's gloves (the store only has semi-suitable, but I buy them anyway... leather on the palms will provide some needed protection). I need a sunny day when the spot is still in shadow, because I seem sun-allergic if I'm out in the strongest light. 

Then it's a job that requires patience. I can't reach straight to the heart. Too much in the way. I feel a bit daunted, as I begin snipping the outer rim, taking off no more than about 8 inches at a time. Snip, toss. Snip, toss. The detritus pile grows, the bush shrinks.

It takes a long time, but in the end, I've got what I wanted (despite also getting what I didn't want... a few well-placed pierces to the tender skin). Anyway, I have it now. A small thornbush, nicely rounded, looking like it belongs. In Fall, I'll get the red berries and the orange leaves. A lovely fire bush that will make me smile.
______

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button



This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Chris Yokel said...

I like how that idea relates to creativity. I tend to be an all or nothing person--when I have an idea I just want to pour myself into it until I'm done, but that's not always realistic. So I'm learning to snip away at it, little by little everyday.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

A teardrop in the shadow
of the strongest light
will still a tender heart.

A smile well-placed
will make a prickly space
lovely in time.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

I can't reach straight to the heart. Too much in the way.

Hmmm.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Joe Pote said...

It does take a lot of patience and work, doesn't it?

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Sylvia R said...

Lots of symbolism here. And nasty hard work. ;)
And GOOD work gloves for women are really hard to come by aren't they? I once got these great leather work gloves designed just for women's hands called something like "Women's Work" Gloves. They fit just right and held up! But I can't find them anymore... :(

2:10 PM  
Blogger Laurie Collett said...

Lovely analogy -- so many thorns encircling our heart, and so painful to clear them away. Thanks for the beautiful post and for hosting the linkup!
God bless,
Laurie

2:50 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

But such lovely flowers must needs be protected by thorns! Beauty-bush!

Be loved and at rest today, Laura. You are beautiful!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Sherrey Meyer said...

Enjoyed the "snip by snip approach to goals." My life has gotten out of synch lately, due to the press of family matters, and now I'm trying to get back on track. I think I'll just "snip" away at my goals this afternoon and tomorrow and the day after and . . . Thanks!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

Good metaphor applicable to all of life’s tasks that must be tackled.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Dolly@Soulstops said...

a wonderful and true metaphor about pruning and life...thanks, Laura :)

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home