Saturday, July 14, 2012

On, In, and Around Mondays: The River Waves

Geese Pair on River

I go to be alone. It's been a long week. And I took note, this morning, of a headline about how the most successful business people really know how to take a weekend.

My weekend has been okay so far. But my mind can hardly wrap itself around the day. Even though I've trimmed bushes, watered the cucumbers, scattered two children's treasure bags of seashells into my little herb garden.

Under the pine, I've stood and sprayed the white parasites from the underside of the branches, noting how such tiny, tiny insects have begun to suck the life out of my dear tall loved-one. (Maybe you remember how I sat under her, days and nights, for a year.)

Such tiny deaths, over and over, I think. These are what could bring her down.

I spray and think of the contrast. My pine slow-dying. My garden, slow-treasuring into a miniature memory of the sea.

And me?

How does a life slow-die, or slow-live? Can it be as simple as taking it one day at a time, and choosing the treasuring?

It might be.

So I listen to the tiredness inside me, and I go to the river, where I see pairs of geese and pairs of boats bobbing on the waves. A rolling repetition that soothes anyone who would take the time to see.

Boat Pair on River

I watch the joy of children, so self-possessed in how they touch the day.

Girl by River

Joy by the River

The water mesmerizes. Its motion. Its diamond dazzle. Its sound against the rocks.

River Water

I let it all wash over me. The breeze, the joy, the sounds. I can feel the fatigue falling away.

sunset boats

Yes, I stay longer than I planned. The sun begins to set. And I am one now, with the waves. We move together, it seems, to lap our treasures to the shore.

Sunset on River Rocks
______

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button



This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Christina said...

"How does a life slow-die, or slow-live? Can it be as simple as taking it one day at a time, and choosing the treasuring?" I needed this.I'm always living in the future, future-tripping, rather than in the moment. I think maybe I need to get away to a river too:)

8:46 AM  
Anonymous kendal said...

the diamond dazzle. yeah.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

And my heart whispers...please choose "slow-live."

9:43 PM  
Anonymous bluecottonmemory said...

"Self-possessed children" - how you write they touch the day - oh, to have that abandon - simply beautiful. Treasures are there - we just must move ourselves to gather them! Wishing you a blessed week! Lots of energy, too!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Joe Pote said...

Beautiful words describing a restful, thought-filled day!

Thanks for sharing!

11:26 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

Lovely, lovely water. Lovely, lovely photos. Lovely, lovely pearl strings of words. Lovely, lovely thoughts.

May you feel LOVED today, Laura

12:18 AM  
Blogger Jean Wise said...

Wow powerful post and one I reread several times. Lots to ponder here; some really great lines. So glad you took time for yourself - a great reminder for all of us.

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Amy Nabors said...

Thank you for this. A much needed reminder today.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Laurie Collett said...

So beautiful...we can live only in the present, so why let petty annoyances or negative thoughts steal our present joys?
Thanks for the inspiring post & for hosting the linkup, & God bless,
Laurie

4:56 PM  
Blogger Sherrey Meyer said...

A peaceful day . . . and lovely images to soak up. A much needed reminder in the midst of my busyness!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous path of treasure said...

Lovely reflection.

It is a choice isn't it, this treasuring, this living one day at time...

8:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It really is hard to relax on the weekends, isn't it? Life is just so stressful!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Megan Willome said...

Those parasites in the pine tree. That's what I'm dealing with right now (metaphorically). I don't want this tree to die. I'm trying everything: pesticides, organic treatments, prayer, pleading.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home