Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Divine Tenderness

Last Friday, I got the first real feedback on my manuscript, from the editors. In an instant, I remembered the stories of writers who had gone before me, who told me it would be like this. (Sure, some had it better... one friend had no revisions to speak of... and some had it worse... I think of Anne Lamott's discussion of the novel that almost wasn't.)

Anyway, I felt like going to sleep for a really long time.

I closed my eyes, so to speak, and was suddenly reminded of how I'd encouraged a small group that same morning, "He who began a good work in you will [bring it] to completion." (Philippians 1:6) Oh, I had not expected that to be my message. But here I was needing encouragement and these words were written all over my brain...

Just a small divine tenderness... but, there it was... a love letter sealed in the morning... to greet me at eventide.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

God is so good...I love how He uses His word to encourage and sustain us.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The word of God written on your heart . . .

Maybe sleeping for a while is part of God's plan for completing His work in you. But so is waking up and continuing to write.

(Maybe now you can incorporate "scud" into your manuscript somehow.) :)

7:05 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Sara and Charity, thank you for your dear encouragement... it is another incarnation of His words to me.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Inihtar said...

Look at the feedback as a blessing, even if it seems discouraging initially!! Coz that means your manuscript is on its way to becoming even better -- and another step closer to becoming a finished piece!! And that verse -- AMEN!!

3:00 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Thanks, Inihtar. Yes, I always say, even if through gritted teeth, "The reader is my friend."

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home