Friday, September 01, 2006

Blessed Futility

Yesterday, I took some time out from work. We went to the park. I talked to a friend. My kids went off to play.

Almost the whole time, my girls made a castle, with some big rocks. It was a beautiful castle.

I hadn't realized where they were getting these rocks from, until it was too late. The rocks were from the base of a drainage pipe, where they really needed to be. Of course, this meant the castle would have to be dismantled.

In the middle of the night, I thought about this. I thought about the value of being creative, even when one's work may be dismantled. I thought about my writing... how hard it is to take things apart once they are put together...my little castles, where I reign in satisfaction.

Some people have the solution for this problem. Sit on the bench. Leave the rocks in one place. Forget about making castles. It's futility to do otherwise. Even so, I say it's a blessed futility.

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

hello there!
i had no idea you knew I had a blog.(it's supposed to be a secret!)
You learn something new everyday. :)
I'm coming out of lurkdom to say I've been enjoying your posts.
Andrea

12:20 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Ah, but how I love secrets. (Which, I have to tell you, is one reason I'm hoping that my manuscript title stays intact... Secrets in Stone.)

Anyway, I appreciate that you chose to step into the light, at this time. Your encouragement is a welcome surprise.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Anne Mateer said...

I found you through your comment on my blog. Your "Blessed Futility" so beautifully sums up how I often feel about my writing.

Thanks for the suggestion of Kristin Lavransdatter. I looked her up and her books look fascinating! (I love history, too.)

1:26 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Very interesting thought. One I'll have to think about.

Yes. There are surely flaws and mistakes in our work. But we should do so to the glory of God, just the same.

Our works created for us in Christ Jesus are there. In those works. Even if they have to come down at a certain point. Think of the impact they have. Even as your children's castles had. They are good for their time and place and occasion. Of the Spirit there. Well, just a thought.....

10:53 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Ellie, thanks for the feedback. In fact, I'm having to rewrite a few things in this book... and I thought of maybe using this story... so glad to know it spoke to you... :)

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home