Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Strange

I was reorganizing things this week and came across some sweaters that my grandmother knitted. She doesn’t knit anymore. When she made these sweaters for my girls, she declared that they were her last projects. I carefully zipped and hung the sweaters, taking notice of the uneven hand sewing at the zippers’ edges.

Later the same day, I was working on the computer and my daughter noticed something wrong. The ring on my hand, the pearl and diamond ring that my grandmother passed on to me… well, the pearl had disappeared. A little platinum pin was just sitting there, headless in the ring’s center.

Oh, the strange little happenings of a single day… how uneven and empty they make me feel.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Yes, it's "strange" how little things like that (although your ring missing the stone is not "little") can make us feel empty like that.

3:07 PM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

I can relate. Sometimes things just happen that I can not controll. It makes me sad sometimes. I hope you will find the pearl.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Andy Blanks said...

I can see someone sitting on a park bench stooping down to tie her shoe, catching a glimpse of murky white, and reaching down, finding a small pearl on the ground.

I imagine their conversation to a friend or loved one:

"You won't believe what happened to me today . . . "

Maybe a bit of your grandmother brought joy to someone unexpected . . .

(Still stinks to lose the pearl, though . . .)

8:20 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Thanks for the encouragement, all...

and, Andy, thanks for that little redemptive thought... in fact, it is true that everything fades, wears out, or rolls away, and the question is... what part of ourselves have we truly given into the future... maybe even into eternity...

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home