Monday, April 06, 2009

Practical Power of a Well-Founded Dream

Elizabrth Weller Cards 2

Elizabeth Weller Cards

You've got a package, my husband calls up the stairs.

Leave it there. I'll look at it later, I call back. Saturday is writing day, and it takes a lot to extricate me from my writing-room, my precious solitude.

When I finally go downstairs to prepare lunch, I'm excited by the name on the return address. Elizabeth Weller, newfound blogging photographer friend, generous sharer of art and thought. I'd recently noticed that Elizabeth has an Etsy Store and had ordered some of her greeting cards. Ah! They arrived.

Upon opening the package, I'm struck by the care she's taken. Each set of cards is individually wrapped, with an extra gift of photographic love tucked beneath each yarn tie. Why, she even penned me a lovely note, saying, I thought I'd send along this photo, having read that your next book is on *place*...

This is sweetness, pure and simple. If Elizabeth's dream is to share her art with the world, she is well on her way to doing so and finding some champions for her cause. Who wouldn't want to promote a woman of such artistry and care?

Suddenly, I think of Bill Strickland's words in chapter four of Make the Impossible Possible. He says, Trust your passion, identify your dreams, and find the courage to share them with others, no matter how many times they call you a fool. If your vision has merit, no matter how impossible it may seem, someone will recognize it and help you make it come true. That's the practical power of a well-founded dream.

Strickland is not talking auto-success, or even saying that all dreams will come true. But he is saying that someone like Elizabeth might just find her place in the world if she has the courage and generosity to share a well-founded dream.

Greeting Card photos by L.L. Barkat. Greeting cards by Elizabeth O. Weller

OTHER BOOK CLUB POSTS:
High Calling's Hope Finds a Home
Laura's Visionary
Erica's Impossible Dreams
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , , , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Billy Coffey said...

Thank you, L.L. Needed this one today...

9:22 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I like the Strickland quote. Elizabeth's cards are beautiful. I also do photo cards and other handmade cards. As an avid letter writer, I'm all for inspiring people to write notes.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love this lesson that Strickland says he learned through the process of pursuing his dream.

courage.

Yes, indeed. It does take that.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous cas said...

That is the quote from Strickland that I had marked to comment on. I was thinking that the difference between his dream and dreams of fame and fortune is that it is a dream that gives to others, that includes them. He pursues it for himself, but not for himself alone.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As all great storytellers, you pulled me and kept me... Living my dream, but you made me want to think of another one for the sake living out this nice moment!!!
simply beautiful. Cindy

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

courage and generosity to share...

you are right
it does take courage to share.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love the "keep-at-it-ness" of this...don't just say your idea once, but again and again and again. Keep speaking...

1:47 PM  
Blogger elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I love the artistry in others. I believe that we all carry it in one form or another. To see Elizabeth's creativity so beautifully packaged is a gift in and of itself. Rare are those who take the time to lovingly wrap their talent in such an inviting wrap.

I want to be a woman who takes the time to wrap my creativity in detailing love and from a willing heart. Thanks for sharing Elizabeth's work with us. Heading over for a peek just now.

peace to you in your week's walk to the cross~elaine

2:54 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Billy... we writers always need this, don't we? :)

Letters... I have to say that I want to write letters now that I've got Elizabeth's cards! It makes a difference. (Actually, I want Elizabeth's art on my walls now too.)

Laura... courage. His was born of need. I wonder where courage is generally born...

cas... I love that. His dream really has given to others. Scores of others. Lives changed. It's a beautiful thing.

Cindy... what is your dream? Do you yet know... ?

nAncY... yes, because in sharing we risk a "no thank you".

Sarah... how long to keep at something.... this is a good question. When is it time to give up a dream and when is it time to hold on even tighter?

Elaine... take time to wrap... yes, I love how you pulled that out. It reminds me to be attentive about my work, my gifts.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Bradley J Moore said...

LL - what a great tie in to Strickland's book. The courage to share our dreams... Who cares about fame and fortune as long as we are fulfilling what we believe God has given us as His dream for us. This truly is the path to take.

8:00 PM  
Blogger RissaRoo said...

Courage to share your dream...this is such an important thing. It's that "no, thank you" that's so hard to get past! And yet if you believe enough in what you are doing, you can hear a thousand "nos" and keep seeking until you find that "yes". Perhaps that's a part of the secrete to success...to believe in your dream so much that "no" doesn't stop you.

And those cards are beautiful! The love and care that went into her packaging and personalizing your order clearly also went into her artwork...which is what makes a photo *artwork* rather than just...a photo. I bet you will write some very special notes on those lovely cards!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Dr. Roger D. Butner said...

What a beautiful story of abundant love and hospitality. I am so thankful God led me to your blog(s) recently. The only way I can think to express it is that it has brought a bit of richer beauty into my life - especially my online experience.

Thanks!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Dreaming some pretty wild dreams these days. Ones that seem far off, impossible. So your words and Elizabeth's courage have inspired me to keep letting the dreams be, to listen, and perhaps one day speak them loud.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Annie said...

Sometimes it takes courage. Sometimes it takes moving beyond. Most often it takes one door closing and another opening for us to really seek the dream of our hearts.

9:42 PM  
Blogger sojourner said...

may that courage of sharing well founded dreams become real to us all!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Wonderful.

12:25 AM  
Blogger e.o.w. said...

I'm sitting here with a big grin! To trust the world enough to enter into relationship, to give and to receive. It feels as though my heart is breaking... open.

(and my word identification is 'truste.')

Thank you L.L. for the support and inspiration!

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home