Monday, October 05, 2009

Waiting for Monica Tenney

Watching the World Go By

This is the writer's life. Days and nights of putting down words. Not knowing. Not knowing where they will make their way, or if they will make their way. The words feel good under our fingers; we hope for them, we wait and wonder... will anyone receive?

Sometimes we hear through a back door or a painted window... a person reading our words and saying yes, a person turning and holding what we molded. Sometimes we stumble upon Monica Tenney.

Today her words came to me in the mail, though she does not know it. Maybe she too, just now, wonders where her words will go. Monica, they came here to my door. Your words about my words...

In each of the twenty chapters of her elegant Stone Crossings, Barkat revisits events and emotions from the past, weaving in scripture.... Her writing is... lyrical in places, and— to this reader— reminiscent of the prose of Annie Dillard. It is often laced with a quiet humor that itself is a kind of grace. Barkat is attuned to both the natural world and the poignancy of everyday domestic scenes. With an astonishing intimacy, she tells...

Barkat's book would make an excellent subject for a small group study...


Thank you, Monica. You found my words and I, in turn, found yours.


Dog in the Window photo, by L.L. Barkat. Excerpt of review by Monica Tenney from Congregational Libraries Today.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Bina said...

I can't imagine how that would feel, as I not "published"...but I know the smile that forms when I get an email about a comment, the flitter in my stomach as the email loads...and the tears that form when God can take my simple words and move mountains for another.

What a blessing that must have been for you - and I thank you for sharing!

7:43 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Bina, I'm thinking it feels very much the same. Except the email is even more dear because it is personally directed... this was a random overhearing of someone's thoughts. Still dear of course, but your experience is surely one to be cherished.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

One more review that makes me so glad I ordered your book. I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow.

And that photo is wonderful.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

What a joy (this does seem to be my word for this season) to know your words are being used by the Father to minister to and bless others. How I love words. How I love that the Father loves words.
Your words bless.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Bina said...

I just went to Amazon to take a peek at your book, Stepping Stones... They "let" me read the intro chapter...and it just made its way onto my Christmas List. I can hardly wait to dig into it...but for now, I just wanted you to know that you have MY glowing review of Chapter 1.

Praying your today, which is my tomorrow as I write this, is full of His grace!

Bina

2:47 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Bina, that is very sweet. Funny about that cover... the image is one thing, the title another. And sometimes I mix my own title up (that can't be good). Anyway, I hope you enjoy *Stone Crossings*. :)

Maureen... I look forward to having my words be on a table where you write awesome poems. :)

Linda... thank you. To think that struggle could bring joy... isn't that a wonder?

8:29 AM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Precious honoring, noticing, valuing. You too are lyrical, L.L.; your life sings alongside your words.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a wonderful thing to receive, thanks for sharing.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Jasmine said...

Congratulations. I am looking forward to reading your story. Your writing already intriques me, as this is the third time I'm visiting.

xox

12:25 PM  
Blogger kirsten said...

Wonderful!! What a gift to be able to read those words -- those are a kind of grace, too.

2:21 PM  
Blogger ELK said...

anytime we put ourselves out there we wonder...but we must continue no matter...lovely feedback inspires us on such a day~

3:54 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Amen.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hugs to you L.L.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Bina said...

...well I feel sheepish. I am glad that you knew what I meant and I pray you took no offense! :)

2:10 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Bina, oh my. No offense. People do that all the time. Or they call it the name of this blog. :) Or I do. :)

9:19 AM  
Blogger travelmom said...

I can think of no higher praise than to be compared with Annie Dillard. Your writing is lyrical and inspiring. Congratulations on the fruits of your labors. Looking forward to getting the book. Blessings! Lori G.

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home