Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Beside Myself

Tabloid News

I am absolutely beside myself.

Really.

Who knew you could have so much fun in a box that holds 140 characters?

Last night I went to a Twitter party, with the coolest people in attendance— people from every corner of the States. @tspoetry started with quotes from John Leax's Tabloid News a book of poetry with surprisingly poignant poems based on tabloid headlines like, "Baby Born with Antlers" and "Leaping Turtles Invade U.S." (If you don't ordinarily buy poetry, this is one book that should make you reconsider your poetry-purchasing policy.)

Once the night began, it was champagne and laughter, food for the mind and soul. Tweeters talked of vampires and red clay, aliens and Elvis. It was decidedly unusual and refreshing.

With a few parties behind us at this point, several attendees decided to dedicate a whole blog to function as a kind of scrapbook and additional sharing space. (Coming soon; stay tuned.)

In the meantime, here are some of my favorite poems I tweeted last night. (Grab a bowl of chips, kick up your feet, and see.)


I used to believe
only other people
died,
that was before I saw
that even an angel
could fall.

*

Too busy laughing
too calloused for desire,
he ignored smoke,
wings, the lifted gown.

*

Shouldn't there be laws
against angels flying
during duck-hunting season?
Well, if 'ya ask me
there should be.

*

Wouldn't you swear too
if by chance
or hidden desire
you culled an angel
from the stars
with smoke and buckshot.

*

Was it grace
that planted the hoof
knowing this alien world
was just now in need
of a shy faun?

*

When her gown
set fire
he could only say,
God, she is more lovely
than Asia.

*

Vegas is glaze,
oil,
a furnace of alien
desire.

*

She used to want blood,
a thin neck,
beating pulse
but now her heart
aches for donuts and cake
no one would give her
the stake for this.

*

Vampiress stalks
Midwest businessman,
seeks the pulse
of poetry to calm
her alien nights.

Speaking of fun, I want to say thank you to HighCallingBlogs (btw, I hear you made it into the top 100 Christian blogsites!), for bringing me on as Managing Editor. I appreciate the chance to work with such a great bunch of people. (Hey, Billy Coffey, I'm talking partly about you.)

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Maueen said...

L.L., love your post. I'll add a link to it from my blog.
Seeing your contributions in more their format here, I'm amazed by the lyricism. Last night was fun.
~ Maureen

1:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You are too much.

2:09 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

And you, dear Laura, make me smile.

Hey, Maureen, your poetry is charming, delightful!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Glynn said...

Blog shock!
Pastel artist
Kidnaps unsuspecting
Poets,
Escapes with donuts
In UFO.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Congratulations, L.L., on the High Calling editorial position... you are blessed. Blessed!

You take a box, and think outside of it... in 140 characters, give or take a few.

All my love,
Ann

4:24 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Ann, you too make me smile. How blessed I am, yes, but by you.

Glynn, ha! I love how this particular party brought out the humorist in you.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Maureen said...

Glynn, cute comment to L.L. here (have to post here because I can't seem to leave a comment on your blog). Hope Vampiress and Business Man, not to mention tiny foot, aren't along for the ride. ~ M

6:02 PM  
Blogger Lorrie said...

Well rats! I deleted my twitter account awhile back. Now I'm wishing I hadn't. Love your tweet poems L.L. :)
Blessings..

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can sense how happy you are LL, that pleases me, and I think I can sense God smiling too!!! congrats!!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Congratulations, L.L.

You shine!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Sounds like you had a rip-roaring snortin' good time! Love the poetry inspiration idea. Have never paid much attention to the tabloid headlines, but I think I shall from now on. Poem fodder....

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home