Monday, September 06, 2010

On, In and Around Mondays: The Chair

Wooden Rocker

I can see the wooden rocker again.

For days it has been piled with laundry that my family did while I was off being too sick to care. Little shirts; nighties; a green napkin, which my daughter gleefully handed me this morning, to accompany the scones she made and served. (I am smiling to think that a green napkin could be the source of such enthusiasm.)

I cannot remember where this wooden rocker sat in the home where I grew up. I try to picture each room in my memory, but the rocker isn't there.

My favorite part of the chair is its back, leaf and braided carved. Or maybe my favorite part is the arms, softened from the touch of so many hands. There is also the depth of the rock itself. Whoever made this chair knew just the arc to follow to lull a soul.

Now my curiosity gets the best of me and though I cannot walk too well right now, I get out of bed to satisfy my desire to know. I turn the chair over, my arms shaking, my legs aching. I lower myself to the floor. And I see it. An aged rust-colored seal I must lean in to decipher: Stickley and Brandt. Stickley I have heard of, but who is Brandt?

In the end, this is all I know about the chair...

It is old. My mother loved it. Stickley and Brandt made the chair strong. Right now I cannot rock in it. But the laundry has been put away.


Wooden Rocker photo, by L.L. Barkat.

---

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place.

Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below. If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Old chairs are wonderful, especially rockers. I enjoy just imagining who rocked or got rocked. Lovely piece you have.

Wishing you a speedier recovery.

11:14 AM  
Blogger S. Etole said...

My grandmother's rocker is a part of my home and I can still visualize her hands softly curved over the arms as she sat and rocked.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Mama K said...

That is a great chair! I like the design on the back. I too have an old rocker... maybe I will post about it sometime. that flu bug must have really hit you hard!! I'm glad you're on the mend, and hope you feel back to yourself soon.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

I love the way you began writing this post to describe your surroundings, then noticed the chair, as if we were in the room with you, as if we could see it too and hear your thoughts as they wandered to it and over it.

You keep resting as you need. I wish I were there. I could come sit with you and chat if you would like that.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I knew I would miss something important while we were on vacation. I'm so sorry Laura, I didn't know you were unwell. Praying you are feeling better now.
I love rocking chairs. I have the one my grandmother (who died when I was only two years old) used to rock in - it somehow gives me a connection to her.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

I hate that you've been feeling punk. I love antique rockers. Such stories.

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LL -- Oh, I am sorry that there is still that pain and those aches and the weakness. I am continuing to pray!

I am not sure that my link here is a pure response to "On, In and Around," but I thought it would fit at least loosely. Feel free to edit me out if it doesn't fit the spirit of what you are doing! I just wanted to let you know that I love these Monday writings, love that you can do them even from your bed.

Blessings, friend.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sorry to hear you are sick, L.L.
and yet... you still write beauty.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Mommy Emily said...

how you write healing, in spite of your pain...

i have my grandmother's old rocker in my nursery; she rocked "many a-mile" in that chair... oh, the love that rocks our babies' worlds...

10:58 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

Dear God, please make Laura well again. Give her your "peace that passes understanding" in her spirit. Grant that she may find rest. Oh Lord, we thank you for your mercy, for your tenderness. We praise you that you love us with an unending, unexplainable love. Shower down rich blessings on Laura today. And restore to her "the joy of her salvation." In Jesus' incomparable name, Amen.

I've posted my link for "On...Mondays"

11:28 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

Sorry, I didn't get the right link to my site on the first post, so #5 "The Water Jug" is the one to use, not #4.

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Bradley J. Moore said...

We have an ancient chair that my wife and I bought at an auction house years ago. I call it "The Magic Chair" because of it's mideival carvings and weavings on the cushion. Like it came out of one of the Narnia scenes.

PS Hope you are recovering well.

6:11 AM  
Blogger SimplyDarlene said...

Sorry that you are still battling the crud. Now you get back in that bed before one of your daughters finds you passed out underneath the furniture.

I have never had a rocking chair like you speak of...what a blessing to hold the wooden arms with fingerprints of yesteryear.

Blessings. (and prayers for healing)

12:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

What a delightful invitation, to inspire creativity and focussing on different view. Sometimes we all need to capture the majestic around us, in an old chair.

Delighted to meet you today! Hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to get drenched in goodness.

Splashin,
Sara

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home