Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Crossing the Texas Border with Spam

Spam Queen

It was Sam's idea. Honor a person by sharing an item of any kind. The item just needed to have sentimental value you could somehow explain... to say, you are important to me because.

The Gifts

I received gifts of this kind from the HighCallingBlogs team. Many gifts were shyly given in private. All were (and are) cherished.

But the Spam. Ah, the Spam!

"Oh, I bet there's a story behind this," said the airport searcher.

"I, well. It was a gift."

The airport searcher looked at me with a small smile that said, Sure lady. "Don't touch anything Ma'am." (he said, for the third time). "I'm going to run the bag through again." (for the fifth time) "Without the Spam."

Personal items were strewn all over the metal counter. More gifts, some fragile, some amusingly resilient. Poetry soap, a ceramic butterfly, a baby shoe, kids' toothpaste, a white teacup, a stone engraved with "strength," a handmade candle, a poetry book, a picture of someone in his big-glasses stage (long ago). The rosary was hidden in my purse. The shalom necklace in a small tin.

In the end, I was not carrying any explosives. Nothing noxious or dangerous. Just a crowned blue can that spoke, with a laugh, of love.

Spam and Gifts photos, by L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger David Rupert said...

Spam, while totally yummy, is on the do not fly list. I'm surprised, especially with your wry grin, that you weren't detained and dangled to Oklahoma in a prisoner-swap proposal.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Ann Kroeker said...

I love it, and when we have virtual tea together, perhaps you can fry up some spam on the side.

This spam-themed post reminded me not only of that wonderful evening of gift-giving and laughter, but also of the Monty Python skit featuring singing Vikings and a lot of shouting about menu items featuring Spam.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Real Live Preacher said...

I recommend slicing the Spam thinly, frying it, and eating it with Grey Poupon.

You think I'm kidding....

I'm not.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Deidra said...

I just looked into my pantry, trying to figure out what to cook for dinner now that I'm back home and having to do things like cook for myself again (oh, how pampered we all were). There, on the shelf sits a can of Spam. I kid you not. Mind you, we have never bought Spam before. I have no idea where it came from. Did you stop by Nebraska on your way back home?

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Cheryl Smith said...

Ah, I remember Spam. And it's lower cost cousin, "Treat."

Like Gordon, we used to eat it fried. Never with Grey Poupon. That was far too highfalutin'!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Spamalot, do you?

A hoot.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

(giggle) sorry for any inconvenience (grin). No-fly list, indeed. Who knew?

8:19 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Oh those security folks just make me fidgety. You should see us trying to get through with Steve's apple juice in the little cans (he's diabetic). Lethal weapons as far as they're concerned!
I loved this. You always make me smile.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Louise Gallagher said...

Oh My! What trouble SPAM can create!

I tried to find the Bowery Poetry Club and alas, had no success.

Next trip!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Marcus Goodyear said...

"Poetry, eggs, spam, blogs, spam, spam, and spam."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

10:26 AM  
Blogger S. Etole said...

smiling ...

11:43 AM  
Blogger Kathleen Overby said...

necessary staple. gifts. laughter.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fry four thin slices of Spam until the edges begin to blacken. Top each slice with Monterey Jack cheese and a dash of Cajun seasoning. Place two bagel halves face down in the pan to toast. When the cheese is melted, remove and cover each bagel half with two Spam slices and enjoy these open-faced delights.

Best eaten in the wilderness.

(Love the can photo!)

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Jingle said...

love your honesty and humor.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home