Monday, April 25, 2011

On, In, and Around Mondays: Do it Just Because

handmade skirt

We drove to the store in her blue sports car with the white interior. She put the air conditioning on too high. It was the one thing we always quibbled over.

In the store, we chose fabric, lace, ribbon, thread. She loved to give me things I loved. She loved to help me learn.

This time it was an expensive sewing project that required pearl buttons, a complicated pattern, and fine trim. It was an outfit that I didn't need, and it was beautiful.

Twenty-nine years later, and my grandmother is gone.

There are those who say we should be careful about what we do, only work on that which serves the pressing needs of the world. There is not much room for flowered fabric and needless lace.

Today I sit in our Easter service, and I hold hands with my girl. I touch her cotton skirt and run my fingers over ivory lace. The very same.

Twenty-nine years later, and my girl is greeting Easter day in a skirt I only made for me—the gift of a grandmother who splurged, the work of young hands making beauty, just because. And how could I have known?


---

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this makes me want to get up and twirl around and dance!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Megan Willome said...

This is so beautiful! And a testimony to the importance of beauty.

11:35 AM  
Blogger S. Etole said...

I think the Lord intended that we embrace beauty as He created so very much of it.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Bethe77 said...

I love that. A specail lace dress of beauty that your grandmother wanted you to have. The memory will be passed to your daughter.........
That makes me think of a dress my mom mde for me. No one but me wore it.
Such love and beauty to be passed on.
Blessings

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Nikole Hahn said...

I think we forget to mind our own business when it concerns other people's affairs as we walk piously in our rightous footsteps. God wants us to enjoy the gifts He gives to us like needless lace and flowered skirts and pearl buttons. It's a lovely memory you shared with us today. Thank you.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

This touches my heart L.L. I have a Mom who pours out love in so many ways, least of which is the beautiful things she creates with her hands for us.
Yesterday, my daughter and I found a beautiful handkerchief by our place settings. They were edged in tatting to match the color of our dresses for her wedding- tatting she made with her giving hands. Treasures beyond measure.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Louise Gallagher said...

I'm with nance! Twirling and dancing and smiling and lovin' it!

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Rose Wild said...

ahh...how often we create a thing thinking it's for the now of time, while its true purpose waits. Rose Wild

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Just because" - those are two of my favorites words. They can make a person feel so loved. Beautiful post, LL.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

That is your grandmother in your book?
Lovely post.
I loved thinking through time to now.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Karen Kyle Ericson said...

Beautiful story. Before my Grandma died, we sat and had tea in her kitchen. She told me not to waste the teabag. It was a really nice visit. When she passed a week or so later, I got to keep the teapot we shared. It's in my office, and I remember my Grandma too everyday. Grandma's are pretty great people. I'm so glad you have this memory to share with your daughter. :)

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Diana Trautwein said...

Oh, and amen! Do it for the joy of it, the beauty of it...just because. What a gift your grandmother gave you. As always, thanks for your words and your invitation to share...

2:13 AM  
Blogger Cheri L Atkinson said...

is it legal to link more than once?! thanks for the spark, L.L.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

Such a beautiful pink floral print. It would be a pleasure to wear such beauty. Isn't it great how God gives us little gifts that sometimes seem so extravagant (or again, they may feel so ordinary), but they touch our hearts with blessings.

Have a beautiful day, L. L. May you remember how much God cherishes you!

5:04 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

Has there ever been a time when this link worked properly? I'm sorry, Laura, I distinctly typed in the NEW post url and now it comes up on your site as my last week's post. And I truly don't understand how to fix it.

I also made a mistake the first time on my title. The url wants to go back to that instead of the corrected one.

This is what seems to work:
http://kingfishercrossing.blogspot.com/2011/04/kworth-more-than-five-cents.html

But this is what I thought my link should be:
http://kingfishercrossing.blogspot.com/2011/04/worth-more-than-five-cents.html

5:11 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

And now, we are even stevens because you made me cry too! These gifts of love--these connections--oh, yes they do matter in ways that are incalculable.

And, really? Your grandma drove a blue sports care with white interior? Cool.

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Kimberlee Conway Ireton said...

Thanks so much for this timely reminder that beauty matters. I love beautiful things, and even though I think I know better, I often scrimp on loveliness because it's not practical or useful. Thank you for such a permission-giving post.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Solveig said...

Extravagant love. So precious when it comes from the heart because the memories linger.

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home