Monday, May 09, 2011

On, In, and Around Mondays: Of Warrior Squirrels and Weeds

Sara in the Garden

"It's your nemesis!" I kidded her. "Every gardener has a nemesis!"

Hers is Bishop's Weed, and it has invaded the garden beds. For the last two years, I gave up trying to fight it. The possibility of yielding six string beans for my triumphs against a marching weed just didn't seem worth the effort. (The two beds are small and my gardening skills are less than enchanting.)

But I am feeling a bit revived for the Great Bishops Battle, now that I gave a garden bed to each of my girls. The girls have already planned, dug, planted, watered, and erected security measures against fat-bellied, seed-eating squirrels.

Puttering in the yard, cutting chicken wire for their security needs, I could hear the girls singing while they weeded, laughing while they watered.

And whatever nemesis I thought was ours seemed suddenly conquerable— if not with wire, wooden stakes, and pepper spray, then at least with our laughter, each to each.

---

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I don't know the name of that weed that keeps cropping up in my garden, but it is less than enchanting! And now, I am thinking that I need to do some more weeding today...along with a million other things. Happy day!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

Laughter conquers many a nemesis. :)

10:46 AM  
Blogger Tonya said...

How wonderful! Gardening is such soothing to the soul. :) (Even if there are a few enemies lurking. :) )

I'm new here and happy to have found you! :)

12:32 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

Be sure to enjoy looking at those fat squirrels! They are God's creatures, one of his beauty-reminders. (Though a pain to would-be gardiners.) So glad your girls can have laughter in the midst of hard work.

I'd like to join your "On Mondays" prompt. But since I never seem to get the link right, I'll just list it here.

http://kingfishercrossing.blogspot.com/2011/05/letter-to-friend.html

3:02 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

It is amazing what laughter and singing and doing things with the people we love make anything seem possible.
Happy gardening sweet girls!

P.S. Our nemesis is those darling deer. There is practically nothing they don't like and practically no way to keep them out!

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Sam said...

Nemesis = bunny rabbits. Used to, we could shoot and eat them. Here near Dulles Airport, not a good idea. So the garden features some hot pepper plants too. See if that works.
Hoping your crop grows well.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this made me laugh. i think my (food)gardening skills are less than enchanting too...though husband does a bit better at it. i do try though, when i feel like it. i would rather plant a flower and just watch in bloom pretty year after year. only one time work, unless i decide to weed.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

Oh I do love this. You always leave me smiling. I could hear the laughter, you know.

11:02 PM  
Blogger tamarahillmurphy.com said...

oops! the first link I added was incorrect. the second one should work, though...

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

Laughter. It's a good thing.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

I have one for you! I have one for you! (And I know I'm late, late, late, but I thought you wouldn't mind...)

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home