Saturday, August 25, 2012

On, In, and Around Mondays: Listen to the Whisper

Horse

She rounds the turn, cantering, and it is like watching her fly.

My girl asked for this. Two years ago, as we drove by the stables, she wanted to know what went on there.

"Horseback riding," I said.

"Can you call on Monday?" she said.

I did. Because, you know, this girl doesn't ask for much. So when she ventures a request, I know it means something. I don't even need to know what it means. I honor it.

Watching her take those turns, flying free on a powerful creature, I ask myself this...

Do you honor your own requests? And how do you know when you are making them?

It seems more complicated for me. I have to know how to listen to myself, and it may not come as clear as Can you call on Monday. Sometimes a request is nothing more than a complaint that keeps resurfacing. Sometimes it is a sadness. It can even be something that looks like rebellion.

I want to learn to listen harder. For whatever it is I hear. The whisper, the laugh, the slight shift of cloth. Yes, I might want to fly.


_____

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button



This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger S. Etole said...

There's such a powerful thought in this.

6:05 PM  
Blogger arock4him said...

6BrI've actually begun to consider horseback riding for myself. It's an itch I've had for years. And I've been thinking about that "honoring" part of myself. That and photographing trees and landscapes.

I so much appreciated what you had to say, friend. :)

6:47 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Congratulations on the book!! :-)

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Monica Sharman said...

I admire her. I get nervous on a horse, even my mother-in-law's old, sluggish horse. :)

6:11 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I think it's hard to hear the "whisper" because our world is so noisy. But I'm with you, I need to really pay better attention to the whispers in my life. Thanks for this encouragement!

8:12 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

"I want to learn to listen harder. For whatever it is I hear. The whisper, the laugh, the slight shift of cloth. Yes, I might want to fly."

Yes, oh yes. Listening along with you today, Laura. Blessings and peace.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Lisa notes... said...

Listening. Yes. (That's what I wrote about too). I love your angle though of listening closer to ourselves as well...

12:00 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

I need to reflect on this. There's something in here for me, and when I turn to look at it head-on, it flits away. I need to catch it from the corner of my eye.

Thank you.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Monica Sharman said...

The very next Monday? Wow.
Will you be my mommy? ;-)

12:02 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

This made me pause and think about all those complaints that keep resurfing. Wise words as always here.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh, that we all might listen better. And each, in our own time, in our own way....learn how to fly! ~ jen

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home