Monday, October 22, 2012

On, In, and Around Mondays: Walk in the Woods

MT-woods

We stepped onto the pine needles, in a slice of woods barely qualifying to be called woods.

"It's like a carpet," my girl said.

"Yes, I used to walk such woods. My sister and I. How we loved the pine needles so soft under our feet! We could go as far as the eye could see under a thousand trees. It was our secret place."

My daughters' eyes get wider. Is there such a place on earth? They want to believe it, even though we are standing only in a slice, a suggestion of the possible.

They begin to spring up and down, testing a life I can only suggest to them with my tellings.

I can tell of other woods too, like the ones in the photo above. I can give you a slice. This is what I do as a writer. I tell you something you might want to believe. I give you a suggestion of the possible.

It is up to you to go there, if I can just give you a place to spring from. We work together, you and I.

_____

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button



This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

forest. yes.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...


Let it be a bed
of scented pine,

soft as your hand
against her cheek.

Let it be the Kilim
in an ancient market

plied with Turkish lore,
where you trade each

lowered bid for a story
from a Yuruk chief

who'd give his horse
and camel just to speak

love's hidden language
weaved in symbols deep.

Let it be no end to legend
you spin while flying

a thousand and one nights
below exploding stars, their

magic miming your music
through an ocarina of time.


1:08 PM  
Blogger Laurie Collett said...

What a peaceful post reminding me of special wooded places from years gone by. Thanks for hosting & God bless!

1:39 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

I'm glad for you that you have a little piece of woods, where you may not only enjoy a quiet time with your family, but DREAM of the ever-spreading larger woods.

Come to Oregon some time and walk in the vastness of forests. The Lord bless you today

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Elizabeth W. Marshall said...

wow, friend. this is magical and dreamlike. "This is what I do." Love the slices you give. Delectable.

4:14 PM  
Blogger S. Etole said...

You and Maureen ... beautiful.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Yes, that is what a writer does. You do it so well Laura. I am trying.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I can just give you a place to spring from-I really like that concept. Came across your blog and blog hop for the first time so I linked up. Lovely post and idea. Thank you.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could go back to having the imagination of a child. I think we, as adults, could have much more fun that way!

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Rebekah@weliveinspired said...

Lovely! I love the woods.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home