Saturday, September 29, 2012

On, In, and Around Mondays: What Do You Have to Write?

The Novelist Times Square by Tina Howard

"The Novelist is a work of fiction L.L. Barkat had to write."

That's what she said.

And I believe her.

This morning, I would have slept past 9:30 a.m., had it not been for my alarm. But while I was writing The Novelist, I woke unassisted every day at 4:00 a.m. and wrote until 8 a.m., and then I went back to sleep for an hour before meeting the day. I did this... until I had finished writing the book. 

You could say that my body knew I had to write.

People have their theories about why I wrote. And I will let them have their musings. Isn't it part of the fun for readers? To try to figure out a writer's motivations?

But I will say this. I have a friend (or two) who needs to write fiction him (or her) self. I know this. I have been watching this friend (or two) struggle to set something to paper.

And that is why I had to write The Novelist. Because, to this day, I write to love. 

And if loving meant I would need to tackle my own fears and struggles with fiction, to help a friend (or two), then so be it.

What do you have to write? Do you know yet? Does your body know?

Think about something (or someone) you love. And see what wakes you.

________

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button



This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



10 Comments:

Blogger Ann Kroeker said...

I see her emphasis on "had" and love how you ran with that. I would also imagine that one could emphasize "L.L. Barkat," instead, because you, only you, could write that particular book. I know this already, just hearing about it from Charity. She shared a few passages with me over the phone and I thought, "Yes, only L.L. could write that book."

Thank you for taking risks and in so doing, modeling how to live a writing life.

Extraordinary. That's what you are.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Lisa notes... said...

I can only imagine the beauty and truth spilling out in this novel. A must-read. I'll add it to my list.

6:32 PM  
Blogger enthusiastically, dawn said...

Oh, I love the thought of rising and writing on ONE project for 4 hours ...hmmmm... there may be some sage advice for me in that. Thanks, sounds intriguing!

11:26 PM  
Anonymous kendal said...

after i run, i HAVE to write what came to mind. and there was a project some years ago that had me up....

5:46 AM  
Blogger Joe Pote said...

Sounds like a worthy endeavor!

Yes, when I write, it's a little like that. It becomes something I "must" do.

Blessings in your writing!

7:00 AM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

"The Lord bless you and keep you, the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious unto you, the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace."

1:18 PM  
Blogger Laurie Collett said...

Thanks for the wonderful post & for hosting the linkup, & God bless!

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

"Think about something (or someone) you love. And see what wakes you."
Thanks for the challenge. :D
Congratulations on your book, too!

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Dolly@Soulstops said...

Just what I needed to read today...thanks, Laura :)

1:11 AM  
Blogger HeARTworks said...

Hmmm, never thought about painting to love! But I guess, yes it is! Patsy

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home