Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Bridge to the Past

Shadow Bridge 2

Thanks to Marcus and Spaghettipie, and Lynet for sending me to the past. Not to the Jurassic period or anything like that. No, they each tagged Seedlings for a history demonstration.

Marcus and Spaghettiepie asked me what I was doing ten, twenty and thirty years ago. And Lynet asked for a 5-post evolutionary history of my blog. To my great fortune, I found a way to put the two together and preserve the time-honored Seedlings tradition of altering memes I'm memed with (tagged with?).

30 years ago, I wasn't blogging. But I was poking through country creekbeds, as this early post attests. Writing about my creek days was part of an initial blog effort to provide backstory for my book. Maybe I'll do this again when my book comes out. Maybe not. What began here as business and mischievous science has turned largely into community life. And who walks around their community always talking business? I prefer not to.

20 years ago, I still wasn't blogging. But I was developing an interest in art— an interest which eventually impacted the name of this blog, as this early post shows. My interest in art continues to run through Seedlings. Right from the beginning, I wanted to showcase art and support artists. I did it at the start, and I do it now.

10 years ago, you guessed it... I still wasn't blogging. But I was making my foray into public speaking, by teaching the bible for a local ministry. This was the unexpected beginning of my life as a professional "spiritual writer". I've been writing about writing on Seedlings from the start and I still do.

All in all, this blog still talks about writing, art, and life. Hopefully with a touch of grace. And sometimes with a touch of mischief. Ten, twenty, thirty years from now, who knows, but today, here it is.


Tag, you're it: Charity, Erin, Jim, Scot, Inihtar. Choose to play, or not. Choose your meme too. No need to do both.


Bridge photo by J. Barkat. Used by permission.

NEW LINKS TO THIS POST:

Craver's Places I've Been

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger duopastorale said...

Lovely photo. I love those board walks.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Marcus Goodyear said...

Wow, I can't believe how fast you participated! I prefer to let Meme's age in a barrel for several months at least. Then they have that nice pungency.

This post reminded me how crazy fast the internet and blogosphere have evolved. It's a little scary. And it's a good reminder to keep focused on what matters in life--whether I'm online or off.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

"Nice pungency?" MG cracks me up.

It's always rewarding to come to your table and sample the delicious treats you serve at your blog.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting twist as usual. Sorry I've been lurking for a while. Enjoyed reading your post, and completely concur that you write about life and art with much grace. I always feel refreshed after a visit here.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Lynet said...

Thanks for that, LL. I really liked that 'What Do I Love?' post. And it's interesting to see how you see your blog.

1:55 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Mike... yes, and I particularly love this one, as it runs through a local preserve.

Mark... quite amusing. And as for the observation about speed, I was also struck by the fact that none of this really was around 30, 20, even 10 years ago. Not like it is today.

Craver... and you make me laugh with your laughing. So glad you come here, to the table.

Spaghetti... lurk anytime. Silence is a virtue too. :) Thanks for the encouragement.

Lynet... and it was fun to go back and see how I'd started. Curious... do you see it differently than I do?

9:42 AM  
Blogger Every Square Inch said...

LL,

Thanks for sharing. I just realized I've been tagged as well...but heeding Mark G's suggestion, I just might let the meme age for a few days

3:39 PM  
Blogger Rudy said...

Believe it or not, I'm starting my daily devotional journal in a blog format now. I could never write a diary (the pen and paper type). But with blogs, they seem to be so much fun. Blogs are appealing because of the fact I can archive journals, access it from anywhere, and search them easily.

I was not a writer before. Now I can almost claim that I am (sort of). :-)

5:20 PM  
Blogger bluemountainmama said...

since i haven't been here from the beginning, it's nice to get pointed to some of your archives and history! are you still afraid of creeks or do you get wet now? :)

7:42 PM  
Blogger Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

that was fun to read (no tapping, just barging in the door for a cup of tea)

my tag from Mark is aging - trying to decide how it will twist and turn - perhaps what I wish I had been doing 10, 20, etc years ago.

thanks for coming to visit - you're welcome in always

11:44 PM  
Blogger Lloyd Irving Bradbury said...

we shout for the waves to stop
not hearing ourselves
for we are a small part of it all


idge to no where

5:29 AM  
Blogger Real Live Preacher said...

Well, one can hardly be blamed for not blogging before the year 2004. Bloggers from earlier than that are fairly rare. But this is Internet time. As Marcus noted, it's about like dog years. 7 for 1.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just altered a meme as well. I figure that they really are just seedlings anyway, and shouldn't be set in stone!

Interesting hearing about your journey.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

L.L.--Just wanted you to know that I posted some history.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

FINALLY!
I posted my bridges just a few minutes ago.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Visiting all of your old posts is like a wonderfully rich progressive dinner.
And then I bunny trail with one of your links and get a whole new set of "houses" to host my progressive dinner.

I'm going to feast well this holiday season. :)

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home