Thursday, October 18, 2007

Lament


This morning I was reading Louis Masson's The Play of Light. It spoke to me, even in my deep lament over Charity’s new journey with cancer.

Says Masson, “In our life…perhaps the days just after a loss are the most difficult to bear. It is time to question whether chance or providence brings lives together. One of my father’s cherished beliefs was that special people would appear in our lives when we were in need.” (p.74)

I turned this in my mind. Who has been brought to whom? Have I (have we) appeared for Charity in her need, or has she appeared for us in ours?

As the morning drifted onward, and I daydreamed while doing my daily exercise, I continued to mull this over. These thoughts took me to the attic to retrieve Michael Card’s A Sacred Sorrow, where I read, "none of us need to be taught how to lament. What we need to hear is that we can lament."

To this end, Card shared a quote from Job… "I will not speak with restraint. I will give voice to the anguish of my soul. I will complain in the bitterness of my soul" (7:11). "I insist on arguing with God." (pp.53-54)

I realize that while Charity's journey is intensely her own, it is also ours. We will lament together. And in this way, perhaps providence has both brought us to her, and her to us. To worship through the language of lament, to give voice to anguish and sorrow.


Watercolor by Charity Singleton. Used by permission (again).

If you post something to share your lament and your love with Charity (a song, a cry, a poem, a prayer, a psalm, a piece of art, whatever), please let me know, so I can link to your post in what could truly be called link love...a way to join together in support and sorrow.

LOVE LINKS:

Charity's Hard Times
Ted's Pray for Charity
Carl's A Lament Most Proper
Christianne's I'm Sad for My Friend
Tina's The Blogging Community
Christine's For Charity
Craver's For a Friend
Jenn's Still Sovereign
A Musing Mom's Retreat
Llama Momma's Words for a Friend
Stacy's Too Hard for Words
Charity's Greeting Cards, Hot Flashes, and the Search for a New Metaphor. Transitions. Countdown to Chemo.
LL's A Prayer
Charity's Update from Chemo 1
LL's Charity for Charity
Craver's Keepin' On
Nancy's Indy
Charity's Practical matters. Radiating with a New Metaphor.
Carl's Take 10 For Charity
Eclexia's Radiating with the Glory of God
Charity's Good Days and Bad Days
LL's Charity Among the Thorns (updates, for prayer)
Nancy's prayer for Charity
Shlomo's A Borrowed Prayer for a Friend
LL's Twice Given
Charity's Series of Events. Things are Getting a Little Hairy. Getting the Treatment. Entering the Season of Expectation.
Nancy's For Bob and Charity
Charity's The Presumption of Heat Pumps
Erin's It's About Something More... Or Perhaps Something Less
Charity's A Good Day. A Head Full of Hair in Glory. Good News. Bottomed Out. Back to Normal. Common to Man.
L.L.'s Prelude to a Prayer
Charity's Ancestral Visits
L.L.'s Postlude to a Prayer
Charity's Another Round. Sneak Peak. Surviving as a Community Event.
L.L.'s new Charity for Charity
Charity's A New Normal. Pressing Forward. A Renewed Mind. Charity's One Year Ago Today.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger jcubsdad said...

Wow. I think this a good lesson for us after the postings about the blog world being a community or a network? Today it is a community. A Community of bloggers and prayer warriors lifting their voices in unison for the life and health of a cherished friend.

I am rethinking my network vs community belief.

Blessings!

12:00 PM  
Blogger christianne said...

Well said, Gyrovague. Thanks for drawing our attention to this.

Oh, Laura. This post, too, brought tears to my eyes for Charity and for myself and my care for her and for all of us who have been touched by her beautiful existence in this world. I needed to hear Card's words, and I needed to hear Job's words. Thank you.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

You keep track of all my sorrows.
You have collected all my tears in your bottle.
You have recorded each one in your book.

Psalm 56:8

4:39 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

L.L.,
Thanks for the helpful thoughts here, and that is a great book.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Thanks for putting words where I couldn't find any.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

thank you God for just making LL, LL. thank you for putting these things on her heart and for letting them spill out in the pages of her blog for we often feel but lack words to express. You have allowed her to provide the words for us so often when we have none of our own.

Amen

1:20 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, blessings. I'll be out for a few days, while my spouse stays here and has a great time doing house improvements. Anyway, if you post something for Charity, I'll link to it when I return.

Love... LL

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this relationship is bigger than we know are can grasp. but that is ok...we are not suppose to.

it is a relationship that lives on Love. (blood, Spirit) the Love of God goes through the body and is returned back to God...comes from God flows through the body and returns back to God...coninual flow of Love of God through the body of Christ.

walk in the Spirit
Love to you
n

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, LL, thanks for connecting so many of us together through this wonderful place you provide. I so appreciate the encouragement, and the collection of posts has given me so much courage over the past few days. It is interesting to see this community coming together around me. I feel it, and it is so important to me right now.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Llama Momma said...

LL -- thank you for providing this forum for us to share our words with Charity.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

A beautiful post...Charity is in our prayers.

10:22 PM  
Blogger TO BECOME said...

I don't know your friend but I will keep her and all of you, in my prayers because I do know personally "The Great Physician," Jesus Christ. God bless and keep you.

Thanks for the visit that you made to visit me at my blog sight. It was a wonderful surprise. connie from Texas

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LL -- I just began reading the Michael Card book on Lamenting today. It seemed appropriate after tears flowed uncontrollably over the bread and wine this morning during service. I have much lamenting to do in order to truly worship during this season. Thanks again for this gift.

9:31 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Charity... you are most welcome. I really wanted you to have it. Too often, Christians are taught that smiles are to be our only acceptable expression, but that book redefines what is not only acceptable, but preferable... the expression of the true feelings of the heart, angry or sorrowful as they may be. I look forward to your reflections on the book (as I know you reflect on all things with care).

And I am moved by your tears over the bread and wine. Suffering meeting suffering in crumb and tart-sweet sip.

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home