Thursday, March 26, 2009

Poetry of Comedy

Free Snack

I've been kinda serious lately, so I thought to post this comic my 11-year-old did this morning. Laughter is, to me, a kind of poetry. Which raises the question, what is poetry?

Hmmm... I like that. Let's make it our next writing prompt. You can use the question as your title or just put the word 'poetry' somewhere in your poem. As always, please try to give us real things to see, touch, smell, hear, taste. Take us there. Blog by Thursday evening, April 2nd, for possible feature and definite links at High Calling Blogs and give me your link here in the comment box. [footnote, since someone asked: no, your poem needn't attempt humor :) ]

Comic by Sara. Used with permission.

YOU TRIED IT (poetry prompt):
Laure's The 5 O'Clock Morning Hour (I don't think Laure meant this for the prompt, but I see the connection)
MyBigThree's Poetry Lens
Heavens Declare's Galaxies Dance...
Brian's The 3 Mysteries of Place, Part 2
nAncY's poein
Laura's Life as Poetry
Ann's Being Poetry
Sarah's In tenderness...

BOOK GIVEAWAY:
Stone Crossings at CPYU Bookself

POETRY FRIDAY:
LL's littlest daughter's Spring
Yvette's Beggar Woman
High Calling Blogs' RAP: Slow Down, Look Around
nAncY's Indiana
Mike's Mike's Odes
Marcus's Watching the Shadow Rise
B. K. MacKenzie's Wisdom at the Wailing Wall
Laure's It Happens
Cindy's coffee
Stuff in the Basement's Who Knows if This is Legal But Really It's Like a New Poem Form (inserting ourselves into someone else's words) (okay, that's not his title, it's mine)
Scot McKnight's Pastors as Poets
Brian's 3 Mysteries of Place, Part 1

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , , , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Llama Momma said...

LL -- this comic made my day! Your Sara is amazing, which I know you know, but do tell her that this stay-at-home Mom in Illinois needed a laugh this morning, and she provided it! :-)

10:32 AM  
Blogger RissaRoo said...

Oh, this is priceless! I just posted a post on allergy-free foods on my blog, will you ask your (very talented!) daughter if I may use her cartoon there? As a person who shopped for "Everything free" food on a daily basis, this just really make my day. Wonderful!!!

10:47 AM  
Blogger sojourner said...

L.L. you have to include a "large print" version of the comic for old eyes - I can't make out the words in the bubbles ;0(

12:22 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Thanks for the smile. I'm not feeling very inspired lately but maybe I'll try the writing challenge.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny cartoon :-)

12:54 PM  
Blogger sojourner said...

Much better when you can read the punch line! I'm still LingOL!

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like my family's complaints when they come to my house: "Partially hydrogenated free? Doesn't that mean taste free?"

1:52 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

The comic is brilliant... reminds me of the shopping lists I give my very kind husband who shops for me these days and, thankfully, has pretty much learned what things I will eat outside of the produce aisle. So, if I need something new, he reads labels and buys the best available option. It sounds like your kids are prepared to be discerning consumers!

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The comic is great..

2:49 PM  
Blogger TUC said...

The comic is really funny. But what is funnier yet is what she might be telling the world about what is in (um, or missing from) your cabinet.

btw, LL, most people don't know that clicking on a blog photo opens the (usually) larger version of it, so you may want to add a little "click it" note next time.

4:13 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

LLama.. so glad!

Erica... she was delighted that you used it on your blog.

Sojourner... (and all others who want Large Print). Just click the pic.

Letters... oh, can't wait to see what comes.

nAncY... yup. :)

Heather... life is good food for comedy. :)

Nikki... oh, sweet hub!!

Marinela... thanks. I got a good laugh about it this morning.

TUC... well, believe it or not, she got the idea from a coconut macroons package. She thought it was funny that they described the ingredients through all those negative terms. Believe me, there's enough sugar and coconut in the cookies to more than make up for what's missing. :) Yum.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

L.L., I knew there had to be a catch here, though a nice one. One of these days I'll surprise you and even surprise myself by trying.

I am so slow at some jokes, but we can be laughing a major part of our day at work. Good to keep the humor going!

11:04 PM  
Blogger Laurie A. said...

a veritable feast this week.

yippee!!!

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on Canal and for your add.God Bless,Mike.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Lorrie said...

Hmmm...is part of the challenge being that the poem should be funny? It's me - I'm easily confused :-D

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

L.L. thank you for your comment and including me Higher Calling blogs --- you are doing great work here --- and your comment write up about poetry on HCB - reminded me of the Beatitudes - they are truly a beautiful piece of poetry --

6:46 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Just got back in town...but I'm on this!

Your eleven and my ten would get along famously. Comics are his thing. Not quite as sophisticated as your Sara's, but they often give me the belly laugh.

:)

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i gave the "what is poetry" prompt a shot.

the poem is here:
http://nancnote.blogspot.com/2009/03/poein.html

i hope the book writing is coming on through for you.

Love
n.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Joelle said...

The witty comic reminded me of one of my favorite children's books: The Gift of Nothing. If you haven't you must, must, must read it! It's absolute poetry and deep philosophy and truth as simple as it gets.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Great poem. Eleven years old! Wow. Gets it from here mama?

11:15 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Your daughter is quite clever. Comic strips are an art unto themselves - she gets it!

10:36 AM  
Blogger JoAnn said...

LL, I've made the attempt:

http://heavensdeclaretheglory.blogspot.com/2009/03/writing-assignmentan-attempt.html

Love your daughter's cartoon!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ok! Just posted my little poem. Thanks for inspiring, once again, my friend!

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home