Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ticket to Party

love lane

Want to keep me? Make it easier for me to leave.

That's the philosophy behind a strategy that, more often than not, helps businesses retain executives. How do savvy businesses make it easier for executives to leave and, surprisingly, get them to stay? Besides offering professional development opportunities, they encourage social networking, by hosting events where execs will meet others beyond their immediate circle.

How cool is that? We regular-people have a word for "social networking event." It's called a party. I'm guessing there needs to be some kind of synergy. Executives at a party-social-networking-event meeting other executives, discussing, to some extent, business.

Which is just to say, this past Tuesday I participated in a social networking event, otherwise known as a Twitter poetry party. As a manager and culture columnist for HighCallingBlogs, this is the kind of sanctioned fun that will keep me at HCB for a good long time. (Part of my job is to meet poets and writers, engage in social networking, and write articles about poetry.)

All right, I know you want hear the best part. Who was at the party? What did they say (um, tweet)? You can read more about that at Tweetspeak Poetry.

For my part, I drank water (sorry, that's so unpartyish, isn't it?) and tweeted the poems below. Our theme for the night was Love in Character. I focused on Pocahontas & John Smith, Cleopatra & Mark Antony, Cyrano & Roxane, Lancelot & Guinevere, Shah Jahan & Mumtaz Mahal (of the famous Taj Mahal tomb), Elizabeth Bennett & Darcy, Scarlett & Rhett, Romeo & Juliet, Samson & Delilah, Owl & Pussycat, and Yuri & Lara...


Stop asking questions,
Mr. Darcy, with your
dark brown eyes... kisses
need no answers

*

Lara, I watched you
through the window,
choked on the scent
of goodbye

*

Mr. Young has
his Janet, now tell me,
who is Yuri?

*

Mumtaz,
the air is silk,
morning raises yet again
its veil of longing

*

Lancelot, you were my
green earth, the round
table upon which
my heart spun

*

Roxane,
don't ever doubt it,
for what it's worth
I loved you silent
as the stars

*

Dear Rhett,
this is Juliet
speaking. What
kind of fool are you
to spurn love?
I would die for
my lover's touch

*

Darcy, you too
could know purple,
could lie amidst the
heather. Let your eyes
but look on me

*
I am missing you,
Rhett, the lilacs are in
bloom beside the house
like purple flame

*

I watched them
shave your head clean,
strip your strength
in fallen locks, now I am
missing you, your hair
like rope around my wrists

*

The curry leaf
floats, curls
'midst black onion
seeds, brown sauce,
and I think once again
I taste your love
upon my tongue

*

I still remember
how your bangles
whispered glass love
through the halls, your hair
coconut fragrant, hands
henna red

*

When you stepped
under the Eastern Hemlocks,
John, I still had a few stray baby
teeth. You licked them sober, tall,
I left the shores

*

Mumtaz, would that
you could echo voice
over this dry river
through this dark tomb,
light my heart once more
like stars.

*

Vault of marble
cave, emerald-studded
calligraphy holds my love
for whom, at death, I plucked out
artists' eyes.

*

Had we but honey,
quince and money
a pea-green boat,
we could have
fled the sand,
put war behind

*

Who said love was
softer than the asp,
it bites the heart

*

Forgive me, Mark,
your ship arrived
my almond eyes
could never let
you go


MORE FUN:
Would you like to try writing a love poem, in character? Post your offering by 6:00 pm, Thursday November 5, for links and possible feature at HighCallingBlogs.com. Drop your post link here in the comment box so I don't miss it. Don't be shy! :)

God & the Song writing project: Right now at InCourage, they're GIVING AWAY a copy of Stone Crossings: Finding Grace in Hard and Hidden Places. One of my favorite SC chapters speaks of God as our Song of Songs lover. Would you like to try writing a love poem or vignette about God using the voice of a Song of Songs lover? (be as shy or brave as you wish :). Drop your post link here and I'll link to you.

Also, thanks to Michelle Gregory for asking me to share my writing journey. Check it out— includes the story of a very unfortunate string of rhymes.


Love Lane photo, by L.L. Barkat. Hat tip to Bradley, for the Wall Street Journal article.

Labels: , , , , , ,

27 Comments:

Blogger Bina said...

You never fail to leave me feeling as tho I could fly a bit higher... I will take your challenge and see where the winds lead. :)
Bina

11:51 PM  
Blogger FaithBarista Bonnie said...

Wonderful interview you gave. I got to know you a better and learned we have much in common: agreement that curiosity can kill the cat, julia cameron, and thank God for cheese & egg breakfasts.

I will go & ponder how daring I might be ... Hmm ...

11:13 AM  
Blogger sojourner said...

Love must be in the air! Before I knew what you have been doing, I posted an offering for poetry Friday called Adoration. It is not written like Song of Songs; however, it fits for a love poem for God. I also began reading Song of Songs during my quiet time and journaling at my prayer blog (secret whispers). I love it when God connects a thread among his children! I loved your twitter peom and it kind of goes with the season. So many beautiful verse. I've missed this place.......and you.
http://ajourneythroughhisgarden.blogspot.com/

12:08 PM  
Blogger Far Above Rubies said...

Your past two posts have been very informative. Thank you.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Sam Van Eman said...

This kind of partying requires a boss's trust. I'm glad you have it.

2:14 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Bina... Can't wait to see where you drift on the wind. :)

Bonnie... Whatever comes... we shall accept it with joy.

Sojourner... a wonder, yes?

Jasmine... oh, every so once in a while I like to get my thoughts together about more business-like things. Thanks for reading along.

Sam... I find your comment so interesting. About this kind of party needing trust. Why do you think so? :)

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Maureen said...

Oh...great challenge. Will look forward to the results of this one.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I feel so small when I read your amazing writing and your beautiful poetry. You are a blessing.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Loved the interview!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I can't believe I missed the party again! And this the prime reason I jumped into that twitter thing. I will eventually make one. I am so curious about the process. Maybe I'll be a wallflower for my first.

This poetry/song challenge is just what I need. Feeling my heart turning to the romance. Besides...since I donated my copy of Stone Crossings, wouldn't it be nice to have another?

I'll be busy composing. (oops. I almost wrote "composting"... Interesting thought. :)

9:54 PM  
Blogger Lorrie said...

Okay - that does it! Soon as I deleted Twitter due to blah blah blah.. you all go and get a party together. I'm heading back over there right now!

Love the poetry prompt for the week.. will give it a whirl and get back :-)

Thanks L.L., you always keep things challenging and fun!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Megan Willome said...

Bella said, Bite me.
Marry me, said Edward.
She did. After the child, he did.
They lived immortally ever after.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Glynn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Glynn said...

Sorry about the previous remove comment - had the wrong URL.

Here's my contribution to "Love in Character:" http://faithfictionfriends.blogspot.com/2009/11/david-hillside.html.

And it was a great Tweet Party last week!

7:07 AM  
Blogger SimplyDarlene said...

LL,

My offering is more like a love dance (complete with photos) that focused on a couple of spiky characters...

http://aspiretoleadaquietlife.blogspot.com/2009/11/autumn-dance.html

By the way, what if Mr. Darcy and Rhett met on a Greyhound bound for Smalltown, America? Wouldn't you like to be sitting close enough to hear that conversation?

I have missed the seedlings for the stones, but am working hard at finding them again...

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here is my contribution for "love in character"

http://justsaytheword.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/meeley/

12:46 AM  
Blogger Bina said...

Bet you can't guess which book I am re-reading...

http://binaspace.blogspot.com/2009/11/mrs-dewinters-nighttime-honesty.html

...and this midnight cry would be pre-beach side finds, of course. :)

Bina

1:02 AM  
Anonymous Bradley J. Moore said...

Thanks for the hat and the tip!
Still can't believe HCB let's you do all this fun stuff? Me neither.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

My character is eve...

aren't we all?

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Maureen said...

Here's the link to my contribution.

http://writingwithoutpaper.blogspot.com/2009/11/woman-in-his-life-poem.html

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Marcus Goodyear said...

I'm not sure this qualifies, but here is an offering:

http://www.goodwordediting.com/a-poem-for-all-saints-day-sometimes-i-cannot-always-be-there/1118/

9:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great interview. Not a character poem, but a poem about love...
http://mom2six-treasures.blogspot.com/2009/11/poetry-gift.html
Thanks for your voice at my blog.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

Eve's Regret - about a broken heart...

3:03 PM  
Blogger Monica Sharman said...

Here's my love in character poem:

http://monicasharman.blogspot.com/2009/11/han-and-leia-on-date.html

7:46 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Here is the link to my poem L.L.
I chose Gomer writing to Hosea because I happened to be reading their story.
http://lindaspatchworkquilt.blogspot.com/2009/11/redeemer-lover.html

1:33 PM  
Blogger travelmom said...

here you go
http://www.travelinglightghiglia5.blogspot.com/

9:01 PM  
Blogger travelmom said...

Okay - too funny - I was worried it wasn't going to make it in time - I kind of threw it together,last minute - and what do you know - the deadline is east coast time! hilarious!

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home