Monday, December 06, 2010

On, In and Around Mondays: Red Ribbon

LL-1

This is what I love about writing in place. Wherever I am, I can write. I am always somewhere, and there is always something nearby.

Tonight it is a red ribbon I have put in my hair.

I can't remember where the ribbon came from. It is cloth, with a black plaid design interwoven. It is just the littlest bit daring— more for the fact that I have put it in my hair, than for its color. Ribbons seem like such a girlish thing to do.

LL-2

It occurred to me recently that my life is far past girlish days. For instance, when I stand at the ballet barre, with my unrecognizable fifth position, I am not there because I ever hope to be a ballerina (little girls dream that), but because I dare to stand there, and I want to stand there, and standing there is teaching me new ways to move and think.

When I hear music now, I feel it in my limbs. I see myself moving in pirouettes and arabesques, with arms held in a circle, or out like delicate, curved wings. I am not really capable of moving like that (yet?), because it takes many years to develop all the skills that look so simple but are in fact very, very difficult.

Still. Tonight I have put a red ribbon in my hair, and red lipstick on my lips. I am holding my ballerina head high and smiling. Because it took growing up to find myself here.

LL-3

---

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Barre Practice

stand at the mirror
move without moving
the foot just so
make your pattern intricate
with the memory of muscle warm
let your hair fall with every swoon
of your rescuing knight
or tie it with red ribbon and
thread it through your life
notice the pattern of the woman
remembering the girl
dream her the one you are

9:11 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You have a button! And that ribbon...makes me smile. Maureen's poem says it all. So blessed by both of you this morning.

11:18 AM  
Blogger SimplyDarlene said...

What beauty I have found here today. And your hands? Oh how they speak of elegance.

Blessings.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Jessaca said...

Great stuff!!! Joining today. Writing has become a norm for me now.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

Darlene is right. Elegant. And Maureen's poem--wonderful. There's something to moving without moving. And we have a button now!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Heska King said...

Now how did that happen? I don't know how I linked twice. Oops.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I want to be just like you when I grow up L.L.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Melissa Campbell said...

Pure inspiration to bravely be what our hearts dream, and God created us for...to live life bold and free...to give Him glory just by being. You inspire me. Thank you

5:39 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

I like your thoughts here, L.L. Interesting the idea of putting yourself in a new place so as to think new thoughts. Want to see The Nutcracker in ballet someday, hopefully sooner than later.

Am excited to at last have your new book. Looks so very good. The kind of book I need now. And goes so well with our pastor Sharon's book I'm about to reread and try to post on. After that, I'll get to yours and try to do the same. Though I just don't think I'll be able to wait that long. :)

10:04 PM  
Blogger Joules Evans said...

"Because it took growing up to find myself here."--that perfectly describes on, in and around my life, ever since I got my pink ribbon.

love, LOVE that line

11:22 PM  
Blogger Deidra said...

I agree with A Simple Country Girl. You have ballet hands!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this...I was just wondering if I could still wear a ribbon in my hair...I just bought shoes with bows and a ribbon seems it will match...

I may have something to link...I think I do, but I'll add it tomorrow.

And I wanted you to know that I 'attempted' a villanelle.

I don't think it's good...but it's what I could do with the time I had...it came from the heart.

Here's the link:

http://findtheflametofan.blogspot.com/2010/12/ode-to-kairos.html

I'm not sure I want you to read it, but I felt I should tell since you inspired the 'attempt':):):)

10:49 PM  
Blogger Kelly Sauer said...

"Because it took growing up to find myself here."

Love this.

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well. You can grow up a litte, but don't you ever lose that girlish laugh of yours!

I thought of you when I was listenting to Adelle Diamond on Kristen Tippet's On Being radio show talk about the science of how play (she likes to dance) enhances education. You should listen. Here's the link. http://being.publicradio.org/programs/2010/learning-doing-being/

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Ann Kroeker said...

When I grow up, I want hands and a wrist like yours.

I have shapeless, stubby-fingered, washer-woman hands.

My comment is clunky and awkward, like I feel when I thump and bumble through life.

Your post, on the other hand, is full of grace and beauty, like the ballerina you have always been.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home