Monday, February 13, 2012

On, in, and Around Mondays: Writer Needs Reflection

trail

I can feel my heart beating too fast. My breath feels shallow. My body, jittery.

It's not caffeine. There's no threat here in the kitchen. It's nothing at all.

Still, the next phone call I take, I walk with it. There's something about walking that drains the barely-perceptible unease that pervades my body. It's as if with each step something falls away. I miss this outer movement that creates inner space.

After my walk, after my call, I sit and just think. What do I really need?

Swaths of time. Time to go deep. Time to stop surfing (oh, I do love to Internet surf, and find great inspiration in it).

I need a book. Something more than a 500-word screen article. Something to hold in my hands, with a cup of tea beside me. So I do it.

In the green wing-back chair, I settle with a stack of books near my feet. I read one half-way through—a book on Branding. My notebook is filling with notes. I drink Red tea and consider my own personal brand. Not my writing and my logos and online images and posts. Just my self. The Brand that is Laura.

I get up and go to my email, write an apology to a friend. An apology for being so outside-my-personal-brand lately. I thank her for her patience with me, then I close up the laptop and return to the comfort of my chair, my books, my pen.

It carries over into my morning today. Before anything, I sit down and study French, drink my green jasmine tea, plan my week, my day. I even take time to smile to no one at all. Just sit and smile in the dining room. This is me. It feels happy.

_______

On, In and Around Mondays (which partly means you can post any day and still add a link) is an invitation to write from where you are. Tell us what is on, in, around (over, under, near, by...) you. Feel free to write any which way... compose a tight poem or just ramble for a few paragraphs. But we should feel a sense of place. Would you like to try? Write something 'in place' and add your link below.

If you could kindly link back here when you post, it will create a central meeting place. :)

On In Around button




This post is also shared with Laura Boggess, for...



Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous kendal said...

this reading? it's all i want these days....

8:54 AM  
Blogger Megan Willome said...

I think that particularly now (this now, in your life), this jittery feeling is to be expected. If it were me, I'd be sitting with the tea and a novel, not a book on branding. (choke! gag!). But I still love you anyway.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous kd sullivan said...

I'm so glad you have noticed the contentment in "being".

9:09 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I really, really like the brand that is Laura. Dark chocolate. Tea. And smiles. Yes. Like that a lot.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Joe Pote said...

Nicely written!

I sensed both your restlessness and the peace that came with still reading...and recognized them both.

Thanks for sharing!

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Monica Sharman said...

Last Thursday I was trying to explain to a friend that I had that jittery thing going. The twitchy, restless legs I sometimes feel in bed while trying to fall asleep, I was feeling in my spirit. She said she was there, too, and that it might be a February thing.

Living through winter, waiting for spring...

(Nice brand. You should sew it onto a tag. :) )

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Blue Cotton Memory said...

Last week, as I was walking old paths, I turned and smile - to no one but God walking with me:) I think those smiles are sometimes just smiles to Him:)

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Simply Darlene said...

Branding, huh? Somehow it doesn't seem like you are talking about embers, hot irons, and cowhide.

Miss L.L. I have someone for you to meet over at my place. I think he likes you. ;-)

Blessings.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Shanda said...

Oh,,,,I so know the tension that builds us inside when there is a need to 'just be me'. I need a day for that myself but have a house full of live in company and too many commitments. I keep telling myself, "In three weeks" Yes, "In Three weeks I will take a day to be me."

11:46 AM  
Blogger Melody Harrison Hanson said...

Oh I so relate! Thank you.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Often you write what is on my own heart Laura. I don't think too much about branding (not really sure what that means), but I do need the time these days to consider where I am meant to be walking. Which is the right path and who am I anyway?
I need to find my way to my own little wing-backed chair more often.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Laurie Collett said...

Time to be, to explore, to meditate on Him -- what a blessing! Thanks for the beautiful post!

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Dolly@ Soul Stops said...

So glad that you found/made time to nurture your soul, Laura :)

4:38 PM  
Blogger joan said...

Beautifully written. While reading your post I felt such a sense peace. I smiled too, simply because I experienced joy.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Denise J. Hughes said...

I love this. I love being intentional about turning off the computer and reading a good book, with pen in hand.

BTW-What book on branding are you reading?

6:18 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Brand Aid :)

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HemIngway made sure Nick would slow down and focus on something as simple as a fish. We do need time to connect to a deeper brand, to be able to say, "It was good ..."

Even if all we catch is some tea leaves, it's worth it. So worth it.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Theresa Miller said...

Time to go deep and smiling at who you are...you brought me into your space and into a bit of who you are. Lovely.

(I was thinking I might link up, but not seeing the link up?)

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Nona said...

I so relate too. Going deep. It takes time. Bless you. Nona

12:25 PM  
Anonymous kingfisher said...

I'm glad you had time to rest and read and gather your thoughs. May God touch your heart with hs eauty today.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home