Monday, September 04, 2006

Balancing Act


Revising a book manuscript is a delicate process.

Two thoughts jostle in my head: Be Humble... Stand Up for The Work.

Are these in conflict?

I opened A Profound Weakness, to find Betty Spackman say this about her art... "I didn't need more power, I needed more humility." And this..."The time for licking wounds is over. We need to learn how to assess the value of our own work and not depend on the approval of others." (pp 10-11)

Perhaps the need for both humility and gumption faces every artist... perhaps this is the great creative balancing act.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

L.L. Barkat,
Nice point. I think so true. I'll try to remember this. Good to remember together, too. Thanks.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

I thought you might find these two links interesting from Scot McKnight: http://www.jesuscreed.org/?p=1392

and especially this one: http://www.jesuscreed.org/?p=1381

1:30 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Ted, thank you for taking the time to give me the addresses for Scot's rants on how it feels to be edited.

Nobody likes this process, I think. So at least I can rest in the small comforting thought that I'm not totally crazy. (Well, not on this count, anyway. :)

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home