Thursday, October 12, 2006

Town of the Hills



My eldest daughter, Sara, is dreaming. I found her plans … Town of the Hills … a place she has made on paper and wants to make somewhere in the tangle that is my back yard.

In the article With or Against Culture?, Jean Elshtain speaks of Augustine’s “‘immoderate love of the world’ [that] includes friendship and the canny ways human beings craft and build with care.”

Elshtain is talking about my Sara, and my Sonia, who built and photographed what you see above… and she is talking about me… I love to craft and build with care, especially with words. Yes, I have an immoderate love of the world, that I carry with me through towns and hills and forests.

God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good. Genesis 1:31

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good that you love words because a lot of people really misuse them and say horrible things. May be if more people loved words, they would take more time to "build" or "craft" a better sentence.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

L.L.
One of the reasons I enjoy reading either your comments on my blog or your posts on your own blog is because of the words you use. (In fact, at times you cause me to think about the words I am using).

9:28 PM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

L.L.

Great thoughts here. Creativity is certainly important in us humans as Eikons of God. And fun to see (most of the time) with our children.

Thanks.

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home